News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Can't upgrade

Started by antler, November 08, 2014, 06:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antler

My forum appears to be stuck on 2.0.7 under the 2.0.7 it says:Current SMF version: [object HTMLElement] (more detailed)

Under the header: ?Help Live from Simple Machines..I get this message:
You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file.

I dowloaded the "Large Upgrade" and attempted to install it. I get this message:
Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

I tried this several times to no avail. I had tech support at BlueHost attempt Upgrade with the same results. I cannot get the 2.0.7 to 2.0.8 to work nor will the large upgrade work.

Any suggestions or me??? be nice please....LOL

Arantor

Large Upgrades do not work with the package manager because they are not packages. They are complete sets of files which wipe out any existing modifications.

You want the patch file: http://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/

antler

The upgrade info stated that if you were using an older version, to do a Large upgrade... so it was one of the methods I tried. Wikis are not an authority on anything so I use SMF. As I posted, there are several messages or pointers that may leads to the problem. For some reason, my forum is not communicating with SMF and relaying version messasges, i.e. Under the header: ?Help Live from Simple Machines..I get this message:
You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file. It shows me my version but not the latest version. Click on advance, all is blank.... I made several attempts through Package Manager and FTP to upgrade. The techs at Bluehost attempted twice with failed results. Somehow, it is stuck on 2.0.7. also noticed that package manage shows 2.0.8 upgrade installed but no uninstall is available, there has to be something strange if 2.0.8 did not install correctly and won't uninstall.
Sure wish Crip were still with us at this point.....

Arantor

So, SMF's wiki, hosted on SMF's site is not an authority on SMF?

NanoSector

Download the large upgrade package from here: http://download.simplemachines.org/
Then follow these instructions: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
Please read them carefully as you will lose any mods and custom coding, and remember to take backups.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Kindred

Or do what was suggested and patch to 2.0.8 and then patch to 2.0.9

Our wiki here is our online manual. It ***IS*** the authority on SMF. instructions. Period.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

antler

I have followed instructions from the SMF site. I have attempted to upgrade to 2.0.8 from 2.0.7 and it doesn't change a thing. All it does show 2.0.8 is installed in the package manager and there is no uninstall capability, just delete. My site continues to show 2.0.7 as the current version. All of the options and instructions for the large upgrade have been followed by myself and also by the techs at Bluehost. I still believe that it a communication issue between my forum and SF because of this message: "You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file." and this
Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.7
Current SMF version: [object HTMLElement]
(more detailed). when more detailed is selected, it shows 2.0.7 under "YOUR VERSION" and ???? under everything else. I don't intend to be obnoxious but I have tried everything you have suggested several times with no results. There has to be another explanation for the inability to upgrade.

NanoSector

Quote from: NanoSector on November 09, 2014, 05:16:27 AM
Download the large upgrade package from here: http://download.simplemachines.org/
Then follow these instructions: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
Please read them carefully as you will lose any mods and custom coding, and remember to take backups.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Kindred

Yes, your host may have blocked communications between your site and the smf servers.  That would account for the message of unable to connect...  However, that inability to connect is separate and not relevant to the ability to upgrade via the package patches.

THAT problem is likely due to your host's chown settings that are preventing smf from actually writing to the files... Hence, smf tries to apply the package patch. It tests the files, successfully, for the code points to change, and then tries to change them. Unfortunately, you host has things configured such that the changes are rejected....  So your forum THINKS that it has installed the package patch... But nothing was actually changed... Since you are still showing 2.0.7, it can't uninstall, because the latch can only uninstall when it reads 2.0.8

Which all breaks down to...   Do what nanosecond suggests. Use the large upgrade archive. Replace all of your files and then re-apply your mods...   However, you may have the same problem with mods that you had with the patch, because of your host's configuration.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: