News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF load generator?

Started by rjk, November 11, 2014, 01:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjk

Has anyone ever created or used a script to generate load on an SMF forum? I'd like to simulate real users before going live, which would include creating and editing posts as well as just loading pages. Once I'm satisfied and have completed my tuning, I'd just delete the generated posts and threads, and open it up to my users.

margarett

There is a script to populate your SMF, eg, create members, boards and posts. But to simulate load, not really.
I'm guessing it would be extremely hard to accomplish, as it would need to mimic real users's actions...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

The reality is that such scripts do not work well for simulating load since the largest bottlenecks in SMF cannot be well simulated.

I also wonder what your criteria for 'well tuned' would be.

rjk

Quote from: Arantor on November 11, 2014, 01:47:29 PM

I also wonder what your criteria for 'well tuned' would be.

"Fast as hell", really.   :D

I understand that such scripts won't accurately simulate load, but I think some database activity is better than none, and I don't like subjecting people to being guinea pigs while I tune things up.
I mostly know about the server side of things, although I have followed the sticky at the top to make sure I'm getting the best out of the software as well.

Arantor

Yes but tuning for fake, simulated load is likely to be worse than tuning for real load.

Advertisement: