Title stripper (as sexy as it sounds, trust me ;))

Started by Jade Elizabeth, November 13, 2014, 09:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Only because the basic stuff has been done. The more complex stuff will likely upset them.

Gwenwyfar

QuoteI meant in a row, I wasn't counting by topic ha ha. If you mean in a row as well then my god, I bow down to you!!
Exactly, its 127 posts in a row from one person hahaha. To be honest the fear of him trying to continue it or someone else doing something similar is the main reason I'm adamant of keeping the automerge :P
Actually I think editing does bump it but I could be wrong. Regardless that's why mine has a timer of sorts...when a day has passed the merging doesn't happen, but before then it does. I think that's more than acceptable. You could also delete your last post and repost it.
I think the bumping is part of a mod only no? Deleting and reposting is what I usually do, but since I do it with a certain frequency just having the merge do it would make things easier while also helping with those that do double posts, since we don't usually do anything with those manually unless its "spamming" (actually spamming is not the right word, but not sure the word 'flooding' would be properly understood in here :P).
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arantor

Editing a post will usually put the new marker back on the topic but fail to bump it to the shorter unread list.

Night09

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on November 19, 2014, 08:53:05 PM
HA! In your face, Night :P.

No not really, I made a point over moderation of user titles as in how much managment should be done and how micromanaging specific things pisses people off (FACT). 

What if your stripping the content of the title based on the subject and or question asked thus rendering the original title jibberish or inacurate?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Even understanding the point of "micromanaging" the decision is still up to each administrator about what to do with their own forum... If people won't like it, they will leave, as simple as that. Nobody can please everybody, EVER, in ANY way.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Night09

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on November 22, 2014, 04:16:00 PM
Even understanding the point of "micromanaging" the decision is still up to each administrator about what to do with their own forum... If people won't like it, they will leave, as simple as that. Nobody can please everybody, EVER, in ANY way.

Who you taking too ? OBVIOUSLY its up to each admin, I made a point over it as it seemed excessive but ultimately its the admins choice, thats a no brainer......

Ninja ZX-10RR

I was talking to everybody actually... And no need to pick me up like that. I was just wondering why the heck you are arguing on a thing that is totally up to each admin. Useless and time-wasting.
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Night09

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on November 23, 2014, 03:14:07 AM
I was talking to everybody actually... And no need to pick me up like that. I was just wondering why the heck you are arguing on a thing that is totally up to each admin. Useless and time-wasting.

A post with an opinion doesnt constitute an argument..

Ninja ZX-10RR

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

Yes it is up to each admin. Does every admin know that sometimes they're going too far? Does every admin instinctively make the right choice every time?

Answer is no, people. Sometimes people need a reality check.

Jade Elizabeth

Basically Night, you came in and turned a nice and helpful topic towards a negative viewpoint. You didn't have to tell me I was micromanaging and if you felt so compelled to bring it up or debate the topic you could have done that a bit better, like "this sounds awesome but I would be worried I'd be micromanaging my users" instead of pointing it at me :).

At the end of the day if turning this:

"a crappy title ! with really , really , awful grammar !"
into
"A crappy title! With really, really, awful grammar!"

....is such a problem then those users can pack their bags and be on the first plane out of my forum. My forum is for writers and artists, and it needs to look, appear, and operate professionally as much as it possibly can. We don't moderate/change posts or works, unless asked or they made a mistake with BBC sort of thing, so I think trying to save a bit of grace with titles is not the end of the world :).

Quote from: Arantor on November 23, 2014, 06:03:09 AM
Yes it is up to each admin. Does every admin know that sometimes they're going too far? Does every admin instinctively make the right choice every time?

Answer is no, people. Sometimes people need a reality check.

Agreed. But I still wish to remove spaces before punctuation, add it after, and remove double spaces from titles. I don't think that's the end of the world, going to lose me all my members, or going to cause much drama at all. In fact it's been in use for over a week without a peep about it - not even from the one person who does this daily in her titles and she PMs me at least once or twice a week.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Night09

Well my original comment was meant lightly just to bring it up with a wink at the end not an angry face so that would imply it wasnt meant as a nasty poke at you.  It was a valid point regarding titles but I respect its your forum to do as you wish.

Jade Elizabeth

Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Ninja ZX-10RR

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Gwenwyfar

Didn't get any notification for the new replies here for some reason, or I missed it :P

So for a very late reply: None of my users even noticed or got bothered either. Just left it at those simple things, only extra thing were "........."s as well that I added to the mix to turn to "..."

Actually, one person noticed, but he's one of those members that you change a dot from its place and he asks why... He wanted a title with "!!" but it got turned into "!" :P

Steve

So where are we on changing the initial letter of the initial word in the initial topic title to uppercase? Was it decided that it's more difficult than it's worth?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Jade Elizabeth

You can do that in PHP, there's a variable for it. Also possibly CSS.

Gwenwyfar

Yes, you could convert everything but the first letter to lowercase in CSS easily as well, but that would easily break correct titles and often, so I didn't bother with the idea. For first-letter to uppercase it would work well enough though, but it would count the entire title as one thing, and not every phrase like you could probably do in php.

Arantor

First letter alone to uppercase if it wasn't already - ucfirst().

Steve

I'm almost sorry I asked because I don't have a clue what you're all on about. I really need to start making time to learn this stuff ...
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: