News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[FREE] I Need E-Arcade?

Started by sclark9583, November 13, 2014, 08:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sclark9583

I can not find anywhere to download the old E-Arcade, can someone please send me a link?, hope this isnt against the rules..I just dont care for SMFArcade. Really would appreciate it...seen the developers page has been down...thank you!

Sclark

sclark9583

Biology Forums

I know this came out for SMF 1 as well, would anyone happen to have the link?

vbgamer45

I have posted an updated version of E-Arcade for SMF 2.0.x at
http://www.smfhacks.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=179

Many new fixes and improvements
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

What was the licence on the original mod exactly?

vbgamer45

GPL 2.0 trying to post a topic in the customize development boards but site is timing out right now....
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

Ugh.

In order for that to work, that implicitly requires relicensing SMF under GPL v2 as well.

vbgamer45

an do GPL3 since it is that or later. Niko's smf arcade is now under bsd.
I can contact both of them if not.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

Um... GPLv3 has the same problem; it has a clause that demands the software it is linked to also be under the same licence. (There are exclusions for operating systems to allow free software on non-free operating systems but that doesn't apply here.)

The only licences you can really apply to SMF mods are BSD or proprietary licences. LGPL has issues too, but not so bad as GPL at least.

vbgamer45

It should be noted in the mod guidelines then... Bunch of them on google site:custom.simplemachines.org/mods/ gpl

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

There's an awful lot of misunderstanding about what is and is not allowed.

What I don't understand is why if the original mod was BSD, what the desire to relicence it was.

Suki

Quote from: vbgamer45 on November 29, 2014, 04:50:57 PM
It should be noted in the mod guidelines then... Bunch of them on google site:custom.simplemachines.org/mods/ gpl

Nope, GPLv3 can be applied to mods and SMf the software doesn't have to be relicense.

That clause only applies when you redistribute code with GPL code on it.

The only case where it can apply is if SMF adds GPL code to the core and releases it  but a mod that is applied on a private case doesn't trigger that clause.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

vbgamer45

Ok then I am good to go with e-Arcade on GPL v3? or can GPL v2 work as is?

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

GPLv2 is no go due to the viral clause. GPLv3 is probably OK.

I still don't get why you needed to relicence it, though.

vbgamer45

I didn't relicense it. That was how it was in the original zip file... I believe Niko had it GPL at one point. Then switched to BSD eric added to it while it was GPL licensed.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

https://github.com/nikop/SMF-Arcade doesn't indicate any licence :(

But the only person that could relicence it from GPL to BSD would be Niko. You can go from BSD to GPL without being the copyright holder but not the other way.

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: