News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problem after upgrading from smf 1.x to 2.x

Started by jjfeenix, November 19, 2014, 07:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjfeenix

I upgraded my forum from the latest ver 1.x to ver 2.x. Everything seemed to go well. The only thing that didn't start up were some mods that need to update for v2. (I guess).

Everything was fine when I went to bed, but this morning I'm not able to get into the forum, I've gotten 2 different messages from various machines and browsers. Here's my initial message via Windows Firefox v33.1:

UPDATE command denied to user 'ph_icwd2'@'10.30.72.4' for table 'smf_members'

ph_icw2 is the name of the forum database.

When I tried with IE v11 I get a portion of the Board's opening page, but it says:

Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

I tried another machine, Firefox and got the same message as the IE above.

I don't even know where to start troubleshooting this. If it helps, the site URL is www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum.

Thanks for any help,
JohnS

Kindred

how did you do the update?

1- uninstall all 1.1.x themes
2- upload all 2.0.9 files from the large upgrade archive - overwriting the 1.1.x files
3- run upgrade.php
4- install 2.0.x themes and mods (in that order)

was there a failure at any point that, perhaps, you ignored?

did you change databases?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jjfeenix

Kindred:

Thanks for the help!

1. No. I didn't see that step in the Upgrade instructions.
2. Yes.
3. yes.
4. No. The board started up in them: Curve. When I went to the THemes configurations on Admin, the old themes worked OK, accept for some extra menu buttons that are added via custom mods. When I tried to install the mods (after hours of using the board successfully) there were messages about Test Unsuccessful, so stopped installing them.

2 things happened during install:

1. My FTP program kept failing in the middle of copying. So I had to manually copy all the files that had not made it during the first pass. I was pretty meticulous about getting everything copied.

2. During the upgrade, there was a message about some thing missing that could not be upgraded. It went by so fast I couldn't read it. The upgrade process went without any hitches after that.

Coincidence: I did get 3 spammers trying to sign up last night. I thought that maybe my Anti-Spam Questions mod was one affected by the upgrade. But I checked and it did not say "Install" and assumed that it was working. This morning I have 3 more suspicious account requests already. Maybe I was wrong about the Anti-spam mod working properly?

Thanks,
JohnS

Arantor

The anti spam mod for 1.1.x does not work on 2.0 owing to the fact 2.0 has its own, better, replacement (and does not inherit the questions)

In fact almost nothing made for 1.1 works on 2.0 properly and you really shouldn't attempt to use them because it will be vomiting into your error log with so many things that are different.

Kindred

1.1.x themes will most definitely ***NOT*** work on 2.0.x. period - that's why I listed step 1.

Regardless of whether you THINK they might be working - they will not.

mods that you installed on 1.1.x will also not work. You would need to download the 2.0.x version of those mods - not try to reinstall the 1.1.x version.

anti-spam questions are a standard feature in 2.0.x - no mod needed - but the feature will probably NOT autodetect the fact that you had a mod installed for 1.1.x, so you would need to re-enter the questions in the 2.0.x admin section.

If your board was working after the upgrade and then stopped working -- something changed. confirm that your database settings are correct.
If all else fails - load a FRESH SET of 2.0.9 files. (I would recommend deleting the Sources and Themes directories completely (after backing up, as always) to ensure that you have an actual CLEAN SET
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jjfeenix

Arantor:
QuoteIn fact almost nothing made for 1.1 works on 2.0 properly and you really shouldn't attempt to use them because it will be vomiting into your error log with so many things that are different.

OK, I get it. When I get my board back, I'll have to figure out the 1.1 mods/theme upgrades.

Kindred:
QuoteIf your board was working after the upgrade and then stopped working -- something changed. confirm that your database settings are correct.
If all else fails - load a FRESH SET of 2.0.9 files. (I would recommend deleting the Sources and Themes directories completely (after backing up, as always) to ensure that you have an actual CLEAN SET

Confirm the database settings are correct? Where? At the ISP server? Or inside SMF settings?

I remember there was some .php file I could FTP to the site and call from the browser to get to the settings. Is that what you mean?

Thanks,
JohnS

jjfeenix

OK, a new development.

I went to the ISP database tools and found that the SMF db doubled in size.

Right now it says: 500.15 of 300 MB. Yesterday, when doing the db backup, before the upgrade, it said it was 237 of 300MB.

Does this info help give a clue as to what has happened?

Thanks,
JohnS

Arantor

That would be because it cloned the database as the backup...?

jjfeenix

Arantor:

QuoteThat would be because it cloned the database as the backup...?

Yes! I looked into the db and there are tables with the "backup_" prefix corresponding to every "smf_" entry.

I compared the two "smf_members" tables and the non-backup table is 8 rows longer than the "backup_" table. That corresponds to the new members added after the upgrade (almost all were spammers).

So, can I delete the backup_ versions? Could this over the 300MB limit be the cause of the error: UPDATE command denied to user 'ph_icwd2'?

Thanks,
JohnS

Arantor

If you don't need the backup tables any more then sure, delete them - and yes it could well be the reason for the UPDATE failure.

Colin

Quote from: jjfeenix on November 19, 2014, 03:30:49 PM
I remember there was some .php file I could FTP to the site and call from the browser to get to the settings. Is that what you mean?

Thanks,
JohnS

You can either view the current settings by viewing the settings.php file or using the repair_settings.php tool?

Not sure what repair_settings.php is?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

jjfeenix

Arantor:

QuoteIf you don't need the backup tables any more then sure, delete them - and yes it could well be the reason for the UPDATE failure.

OK, I did that. Now the database is 260.43 of 300 MB.

Here's a weird development: As of 7pm last night, the Board is back up and running! I didn't do anything but look at the tables...well I did submit a Support ticket to the ISP (Net Solutions) to look into the DB error. But haven't heard from them whether they did anything.

If they didn't, then I may have the first instance of a self-healing SMF install. :)

Now I have to find Ver. 2.0 mods. The Ad Management mod for sure. However, 2 of the mods were written specifically for my forum years ago by an employee who is no longer with me. Not sure if I can figure out how to update them myself, tho.

Colin:
QuoteNot sure what repair_settings.php is?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

Yes, repair_settings.php was what I was thinking of. No need for it now, but will try and remember for the next time.

Thanks for everyone's help!
JohnS

margarett

Your host probably increased your database size limit. That should be temporary, though...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

QuoteIf they didn't, then I may have the first instance of a self-healing SMF install.

They did, because I guarantee you don't have 'self healing software'.

Advertisement: