News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Accessing SMF through another page?

Started by Alloydog, November 20, 2014, 11:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alloydog

Sorry kinda newbey here. Just installed SMF onto a Raspberry Pi to demo to our club for their use. At present when I point at my (RPi) server I see the SMF Forum page - great news. But I want to put another welcoming page that opens. This will have menu items (I.E. Hyperlinks) to other stuff. One will be to SMF.  Ideas?

Kindred

install a portal mod... or the homepage mod....

or put the forum into a subdirectory and create your own page(s) in the root and then use SSI to load SMF content on the homepage
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Alloydog

OK thank you. I made a simple index.html with a link to the index.php and presently open the URL with "www. . . . /index.html" to see my "welcome page".
Ref your suggestion about putting SMF into another folder; Can I move all the SMF stuff from /var/www/ to say /var/www/smf/  without screwing up the links?

This would be great.

Arantor

You can move it, you will need to run repair-settings.php afterwards to update all of SMF's paths.

More information: What is repair_settings.php?

Kindred

you will nto be able to include any SSI stuff in an html file, however....  you would need to make your homepage be index.php -- after you move the forum files.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

That really depends on what you want to put in the homepage; if you don't care about getting whether the user is logged in, or anything beyond a simple link to the forum, you don't need SSI anyway.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Alloydog

Thanks all - things are settling down (3 days SMF experience!)
When I moved the SMF files into a subfolder I ran into PHP Permissions problems. So until I get a grip on that I moved them back down to /var/www - but here my index.htm was ignored and index.php always opened until I realized the edit I made to "/etc/nginx/sites-available/mysite". I re-arranged the order to; index.html index.php and everything went beautifully. To tell you the truth I am quite awestruck at the power and presentation of SMF. Our club asked for a demo so I installed it on my Raspberry Pi at home and they are testing it out. I really hope they want a forum and then I'll be happy to give the developers some $$ - they deserve it for a great product.

Kindred

if you have your own index file you really should not be using smf in the root...

index.php should be the first file pulled by the system. If you want to have your own homepage, separate from the smf boardindex, then I recommend either installing a portal mod, installing the homepage mod - or moving the forum into a subdirectory

(not sure what permissions problems you would have between the root and a subdirectory -- they should all be 755 directory and 644 files
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: