Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Forbidden

Started by talross, November 20, 2014, 02:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talross

Version: SMF 2.0.9
PHP version: 5.4

I recently moved for forum to a new host. At first, the public directory that the forum was in wasn't set to the correct permission. I changed it to 755 (which is what it was on the last host). I've looked at a few other key files and folders inside the forum directory and they all look correct, but I haven't looked at all of them.

The problem I'm having is when I try to change the news via the admin panel.
Admin Center > Main > News and Newsletters
When I click to save the News, I'm taken to a page that says nothing more than "Forbidden."

I am able to make and modify posts, and I haven't run into any other "Forbidden" areas in the Admin Center yet either, but I haven't done any extensive testing yet.

I don't know if I missed a permission or if this is something on my host's end.

Arantor

What are you putting in the news?

Kindred

ninja'd....

I'd ask
a- what Arantor asked....
b- Who is your host?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

talross

It was just a small, ~60 word blurb about the host transfer, surrounded by a color BBC (red).

It was replacing a ~40 word news bit with similar color coding.

I transferred from Arvixe to NakedHosting / Certified Hosting. Shared web hosting, in both cases.

kat

I wonder if good ol' "mod_security" is not liking one of the words you're using...

Try asking your host to disable it, coz it's just plain dumb.

As you're on shared, be prepared for them to say "Sod off!", though. :(

Arantor

This is why I was asking - I was hoping you'd copy/paste it here for us.

Herman's Mixen

check for .htaccess file in your root some servers will trowup if they reconize one...

rename it to access.txt or omething so apache wont see it...

then the permissions should be at least 750 on your $home root foder beneith that it could bee 755 or even 777 (640/666) keep playing that...

other wise ask your host to reset to prober formatted

check your database table (settings) in phpmyadmin if caching is enabled... turn it off if you can not reach your admin pages.... set 1 to 0 on last page off phpmyadmin settings (6) i believe...
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

talross

[color=red]ATTENTION: Forum transfer should be complete. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to browser cache if you're having any trouble.

For the next 48 hours, I strongly advise copying anything you post, BEFORE you post it. The DNS was hopping back and forth between the new server and the last. It seems to have stopped, but... better safe than sorry.[/color]

After playing around, it does seem to be the wording.

Rather, just the word "having." If the news is just the word "having" it'll post, and if, out of the original text above, all I take out is "having", it will post.

edit: According to the host it was a mod_security issue. They said they couldn't disable it, but tweaked a few things that should fix the issue.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

kat

That's more than some shared hosts would do! Kudos to them!

Odd that such an innocuous word could make if barf, though.

Arantor

Not really that odd, it is part of SQL.

Kindred

really?   "having" is a SQL command?  I didn't know that.

but that leads to some potentially odd gotchas...
Would they also block something if I sent a message that said

"To respond as a moderator, insert your comments into the end of the user's post, update the log and set the time marker."

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Yes, it's part of a GROUP BY and WHERE clause. SMF itself uses it on occasion.

I dunno what's up with the host, just speculating as to a possible cause ;)

Advertisement: