Show subforums only in parent forum

Started by Black Tiger, November 20, 2014, 09:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Tiger

At this moment, subforums are shown on the main forum index.
Is there a way so subforums are not shown on the main forum index, but only in the parent forum they belong to?
Greetings, Black Tiger

Kindred

Please do note the proper terms...

A forum is the whole thing
A board is what holds the topics and child (or sub) boards

That being said, you would have to edit the boardindex.template.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

br360

There are a couple of mods that will hide child boards from showing on the main forum index. Is this what you are looking for? http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2864

Black Tiger

@Kindred: Sorry I will try to remember that next time. It's a bit different then in vBulletin and I'm still getting used to things.
Thank you for your answer also.

@Br360: I think that would indeed be a lot easier then editting the template. That mod is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!
Greetings, Black Tiger

Kindred

useful link: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF_Terminology   :D

I would have linked to that the first time, but I was posting from my phone, and pasting links is a pain. :)

good call, br360... I forgot about that mod.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Black Tiger

That's odd. I checked 2.0.9 in the modification section and then I get the answer that this mod is not compatible with the selected version (2.09).
Strange though, because it's good for 2.04.
However, if anybody else is looking I found another one which is good for 2.08 and 2.09.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3921
Greetings, Black Tiger

Kindred

nearly any mod which works on 2.0.xd will work on any other 2.0.x version... but you may have to use version emulation to get the auto-installer to work.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_can_I_install_a_mod_that_doesn%27t_work_in_my_SMF_version
Слaва
Украинi

Black Tiger

Yes I know, but I try to prevent using that emulation if possible. Especially if their are mods present which can do the trick without the emulation.
But thank you for your answer.
Greetings, Black Tiger

br360

I'm using that mod I linked above on my 2.0.9 forum, and it's working fine.

Emulation is actually a pretty simple and harmless thing in general though; just emulate, install the mod (make sure it installs without errors of course), and once done, just revert back to your current version.

Kindred

why would you want to avoid using emulation?

The ONLY thing that emulation does is "fool" the version checker.... it does not alter any CODE...

emulation is actually automatic in 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Black Tiger

Well I just don't trust it enough to use it. I've just converted a second vBulletin forum to SMF 2.09 for a good friend of mine.

In the beginnning of the year I converted my own forum too (fom vB to 2.06 at that time). I tried using that emulation system for a certain mod some time and things went completely wrong, in a way that simply removing the mod was not enough. I had to restore a backup.
Can't remember though which mod it was. There is a slight chance the problem might be caused by something else. But I'm just an old school guy which trusts more on things which I don't have to emulate if possible.:)
The emulator fools the version checker, but the mods itself change code... so there lies a problem imho. That mod did not install without problems. And reverting was not enough to get things fixed.

If it's automatic in 2.1 well... that's nice. But we get to that when 2.1 is being released.;)
Greetings, Black Tiger

Kindred

well....  the EMULATION is automatic in 2.1    ---   but it just does the exact same thing that the manual emulation does in 2.0

and all the manual emulation does is change the version string for the installer.

Yes... mods change code (most of them) and - if you ignore errors on the installation (or uninstallation) then you are going to have issues.

However, I have installed over 150 mods into of of my test systems (most of them using emulation) with only minimal manual edits and no issues, like "system down", at all.

key points...
1- ALWAYS take a backup first
2- NEVER ignore errors during the installation
Слaва
Украинi

Black Tiger

I always use those keypoints since I became a forum admin in 2000.

I did not ignore the errors. But tried to fix them by uninstalling the mod which caused them (in emulation mode). However, not all changed files got reverted. That's why I had to restore the backup.
My system was not completely down but was spewing errors which I couldn't fix without putting the original files back. I might just have encountered one of the hundreds of mods available, which did this. So in fact the problem did not took long, just because I always take care of those keypoints.;)

Still... since SMF still use file changes for things, something like the Template Modification System (mod for vB) might be a nice idea for SMF. But if I'm correct SMF is not using database templates so it might not be usefull for SMF, i have no clue, I'm not a coder.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Kindred

no. SMF is not using database templates.

and the smf package system is one of the most powerful things - which enables mod authors to completely change features...

Many mods use the hooks system these days, but alot of them still do direct file edits - and probably always will.

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: