SMF 2.1 Beta 1 Released

Started by Oldiesmann, November 21, 2014, 12:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

That's just it, it's all the same basic functionality - drop in a URL, do some kind of look up on a remote server, then add some HTML based on it.

All adds maintenance and server performance issues.

Gryzor

Sure, so does having a functional forum :D

Herman's Mixen

working for personal use on mods for mixcloud, soundcloud, house-mixes, vimeo ...
and i would ban youtube ;)
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

JoeTheBro

Congratulations!!!

Been watching the progress on 2.1 for a while now so it's great to see it progress to beta. Downloading on my test forum now!

Dylert

Great news!  Is there a demo site somewhere?

Antes

Quote from: Gryzor on November 25, 2014, 12:46:09 PM
It's a pity it won't support video auto-embedding (YouTube mostly)... Oh well, will resort to third-party mods again.

As for Twitter and FB posts embedding, this would be interesting (insert a link to the tweet and fetch the tweet itself, perhaps nicely formatted like the Twitter API supports), but how useful would it be? How often do you do something of the sort?

I think SCEditor supporting YouTube but probably not as Auto Embed we may activate that BBCode in future but don't want to sound official here.

About Twitter & FB they are not gonna be ... I already created one for Twitter using official API but it doesn't have auto-embed function in it.

Gryzor

I don't think Twitter of FB embedding is that useful - it's very, very rare that you'll want to embed a tweet (unless you're running a forum about Twitter? :D ). YT videos, on the other hand... All the time. And I think all major forum platforms support it by default?

Antes

Quote from: Gryzor on November 25, 2014, 03:09:08 PM
I don't think Twitter of FB embedding is that useful - it's very, very rare that you'll want to embed a tweet (unless you're running a forum about Twitter? :D ). YT videos, on the other hand... All the time. And I think all major forum platforms support it by default?

actually no, twitter is mostly used public place, I'm running a forum about games you can see lots of game developers/companies on twitter and embedding those are really useful.

mehrtadbir

Hi

Congratulations and thank you
تالار گفتگوی تخصصی متا    دفتر تلفن مشاغل   سامانه پیام کوتاه ویژه اعضای دفتر تلفن مشاغل     شبکه تجارت الکترونیک البرز

Sesquipedalian

I'm really excited to see that Curve2 uses divs instead of tables for its layout and is fully responsive!  :)

I heavily modified the CSS for Curve on my site in order to bash it into becoming responsive. It took an ungodly amount of CSS hacks to make it work and it is still so fragile. Having a theme that is designed to be responsive is going to be so much better!
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Weirdo

JBlaze

Quote from: Kindred on November 25, 2014, 11:40:41 AM
if you are using an autoinstalled from the host, then you may not have the technical wherewithal to run/test a beta

Hey now... I use auto-installers sometimes when I truly want to break things >:D
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Arantor

Breaking things implies it was at some point working properly in order for it to break.

snake_ripken

congrat on new version relaese
am awaiting nice stable release

thank you to smf makers for hard work

Linda.V

Congrats to the theme, thanks for all the work!

I love this nice SMF Default Theme - Curve2.

vkot

Great news!  ;) We've been waiting for this for so long...
I hope it will not take another 3 years for the RC and the Final.
For specialized SMF installation/customization, Web Development, Linux Server Administration, click here.
Για εξειδικευμένες υπηρεσίες στα παραπάνω, πατήστε εδώ.

Dragooon

Quote from: Arantor on November 25, 2014, 08:00:24 PM
Breaking things implies it was at some point working properly in order for it to break.
Oh they shatter your will.

sergiodadi

agentblackhat

Quote from: Kindred on November 24, 2014, 04:12:46 PM
4- don't know...   you'd have to look at the list of commits. However, I will note that your 60% is specific to you - not to all installations, since MOST systems seem to correctly process the subscription return from PayPal.

I disagree, MOST systems don't use subscriptions, but of those that do there is an exceptionally large proportion who are finding the system unusable and therefore move onto other software to fill the gap. If you use the search feature you will find hundreds of posts from SMF users not able to use the subscription system. None of which seem to be addressed properly by SMF staff.

I've been trying to get the subscription system working for months now and it is often a dead end where support is concerned.

Arantor

Yes, but I'm in the category of being SMF staff in the past - and it worked flawlessly for me. I never had *any* problem with it.

If I'd actually experienced any problems myself, I'd have investigated and resolved it - but since I never encountered any problems myself, I could only make improvements in 2.1 where I *guessed* it could be problematic.

There are 'hundreds of posts', from a few dozen users.

Advertisement: