SMF 2.1 Beta 1 Released

Started by Oldiesmann, November 21, 2014, 12:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motahhari

Is there any main change in database structure?

Night09

Quote from: Motahhari on April 09, 2015, 09:18:55 AM
Is there any main change in database structure?

Read the first post and then click the link that tells you all about what has been done. The database has changed though yes and once upgraded going back is as painfull as sticking nails in your eyes. ;)

Diabolico

Quote from: Oldiesmann on November 21, 2014, 12:40:06 AM
Please remember that the minimum requirements of SMF have been increased to PHP 5.3.8+ and MySQL 5.0.3+ or PostgresSQL 8.0+.
So anyone with Centos 6 is out of the story. Redhat almost never update the versions of the packages they ship once a product is released and what they do is to backport the fix to the older release. That means whoever is using Centos 6 (php 5.3.3) need to upgrade php by using repo from Atomic what could open a door to a lot of problems. Sorry but no forum software is worth the risk to shut down my server because something went bad during the installation of unsupported updates.
Even upgrading to Centos 7 could break everything plus there are still some problems with this release, e.g. one of them is good part of supporting software is still in beta or non-existent (for now) including some major control panels like cPanel. Maybe is worth to rethink if this requirements are good to keep.

margarett

You do know that PHP 5.3.8 was released in 23 August 2011 and that it is officially unsupported since 14 Aug 2014? ;)
Not trying to be funny. Most recent forum softwares do require recent PHP versions, really.

That was very debated inside the team, believe me. Anyone should be running at least PHP 5.5 these days.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Mr. Jinx

Quote from: Diabolico on April 10, 2015, 06:54:46 PM
Please remember that the minimum requirements of SMF have been increased to PHP 5.3.8+ and MySQL 5.0.3+ or PostgresSQL 8.0+.
So anyone with Centos 6 is out of the story. Redhat almost never update the versions of the packages they ship once a product is released and what they do is to backport the fix to the older release. That means whoever is using Centos 6 (php 5.3.3) need to upgrade php by using repo from Atomic what could open a door to a lot of problems. Sorry but no forum software is worth the risk to shut down my server because something went bad during the installation of unsupported updates.
Even upgrading to Centos 7 could break everything plus there are still some problems with this release, e.g. one of them is good part of supporting software is still in beta or non-existent (for now) including some major control panels like cPanel. Maybe is worth to rethink if this requirements are good to keep.
Why don't you compile PHP 5.5?

Dragooon

Sorry, but we have to draw a line. 5.3.8 is EOL, and it has been for a while. We're not looking to go below that.

Kindred

Plain and simple... we assume that anyone who is running our software will be running a modern system.  This means that we won't support php v2 either...   

If you refuse to keep your systems updated and therefore leave your sites open for possible hacks and unable to utilize new functionality introduced to systems, then you will not be able to run the modern forum systems either.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

LiroyvH

So anyone with Centos 6 is out of the story.

As Mr. Jinx also pointed out, nothing is stopping you from compiling (or use an RPM) a more recent PHP and/or Apache and/or mySQL version.
That the basic CentOS repository doesn't contain a newer PHP version, doesn't mean it can't run. :)
There's a lot of (new) software not in the CentOS repository. If that meant it can't run, I don't think there would be many people using CentOS. :P

You're also not forced to use a specific repository or even enable that repository for everything. So the Atomic story is inaccurate.
You can just get the packages you need and install those...

I have a lot of CentOS 6 servers, but none of them run 5.3.x any more (certainly not 5.2...); and no mySQL 5.0 anymore either. I think that actually goes for most server admins.
Especially hosting providers use CentOS 6, but most of them are certainly not hanging on PHP 5.3 & mySQL 5.0; unless requested or required.
Heck, speaking of hosting; software like cPanel even warns you not to compile 5.3 but nudges you to select 5.4 or 5.5 instead; and by default won't even install mySQL 5.0.x anymore but installs a more recent version.

There's plenty of options, and thus "anyone with CentOS 6 is out of the story" is highly inaccurate.
In fact, most people with/on a server running CentOS 6 are probably perfectly able to run SMF 2.1. But yeah, if you keep the server to only use the CentOS repository and don't compile/update anything manually: it may indeed have some very old software...
That's by choice though, not by limitation! I think it's unwise to rely on those repos for Apache, PHP and mySQL unless you have no other choice.

If you know how to admin your server, there is no risk of shutting your server down... (or well... Not a higher risk than normal. When you install something from the repo it could go bad just as well. ;) So the risk level is "minimal to non-existent".)
Note that i'm talking about more recent STABLE versions of PHP. But if you start installing beta/bleeding edge software: yes, THAT would be a risk.

That CentOS doesn't have it in its repositories and thus is officially "not supported" (meaning: CentOS doesn't contain it by default.), absolutely does *not* mean it's not safe to use... Hence why the majority of CentOS 6 servers out there in the website hosting production server area will be running higher versions of PHP/mySQL... With absolutely no problems whatsoever.
Don't be too afraid. :) If you need help installing it, just open a topic in the Server Configuration board here.

It's how CentOS has always worked. It comes out with a set of packages that will hardly change after release of the OS, mostly just security fixes indeed. That's because for some applications: it's crucial a server is setup and then doesn't change anymore, other than incidental kernel and security patches.
When you use CentOS as a production server solely to host websites however, it's not really important that you stay on those old versions; unless the software you use on your site is so old that you can't upgrade... When that's not the case: nothing should be stopping you from upgrading beyond what CentOS has in its repos. That might actually be more of a problem/risk than simply upgrading.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

青山 素子

RedHat published "php54" packages some time ago for EL6. CentOS, being a community rebuild, has the same packages too.

I do not recommend using Atomic. If you want updated packages using something more tested, use IUS, which is managed by Rackspace (and used for their customers).
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Deprecated

I know this topic goes on an on... but I just want to express my appreciation for the nice improvements in features and in the default theme in 2.1.

I will happily go to 2.1 on my production forums as soon as a production capable version is released.

Good work developers! You guys rock!

smap

At least Oracle Linux 6.6 has php 5.3.8 available to install - hxxp:public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL6/6/base/x86_64/ [nonactive]

hxxp:public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL6/6/base/x86_64/getPackage/php-5.3.3-38.el6.x86_64.rpm [nonactive]

Oracle Linux is like CentOS, basically Oracle just modifies (puts their logo) and compiles the source from RedHat. You should be able to use the oracle linux packages on CentOS

Orcale has a Public yum were you can get all compiled packages - hxxp:public-yum.oracle.com [nonactive]/ - and as far as I know you can intall/use Oracle Linux freely as long as you don't require support

青山 素子

Quote from: smap on May 12, 2015, 05:33:58 AM
php-5.3.3-38.el6.x86_64.rpm

That's 5.3.3, not 5.3.8.

Also, given Oracle's rather aggressive moves in the open source community, I'd stay clear of their Linux distribution, even if it is just a rebuild of RHEL. Also, I don't see the php54 packages in their update area.

I stand by my recommendation above. Use the php54 packages from RHEL or CentOS 6 or use the IUS repo to install a newer PHP release. IUS is designed specifically to not replace a bunch of system packages, so it's fairly safe to leave enabled and use.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

smap

Lol ... I need to learn how to read again, you are absolutely right (my bad)

.Vapor

Updates are great BUT :

Using smf on a project site is still a no-go for me due to the aged look of smf.
When and Where is the major update to the look and feel of SMF?

Illori

there are no planned changes to the look or feel of 2.1.

Deaks

Quote from: .Vapor on May 14, 2015, 10:42:46 AM
Updates are great BUT :

Using smf on a project site is still a no-go for me due to the aged look of smf.

Look of SMF is not really something to hold off with considering the look can be changed ;)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Jacen

Quote from: .Vapor on May 14, 2015, 10:42:46 AM
Updates are great BUT :

Make your own theme, or use one of the many ones hosted on the mod/theme section of this site :)
"I've always found that sticking your fingers in your ears and humming loudly solves a whole slew of problems."

Steve

Quote from: Jacen on May 16, 2015, 05:17:44 AM... use one of the many ones hosted on the mod/theme section of this site :)

That's going to be a bit difficult as there are no 2.1 specific links on either site ...
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: