News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 Beta 1 Released

Started by Oldiesmann, November 21, 2014, 12:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

engrz

Thats really a nice step.
Congratulations to the whole team.

Jacen

Quote from: Steve on May 16, 2015, 07:09:44 AM
Quote from: Jacen on May 16, 2015, 05:17:44 AM... use one of the many ones hosted on the mod/theme section of this site :)

That's going to be a bit difficult as there are no 2.1 specific links on either site ...

*whispers* I meant when 2.1 official goes gold... To quote the first post in this thread:
Warning! This is just the first beta! There ARE bugs and incomplete features; it is not recommended that you run this release on a live/production site.

:)
"I've always found that sticking your fingers in your ears and humming loudly solves a whole slew of problems."

sr4314

Mojohaza1

Do we have an ETA on final release yet? or for Beta 2 as the name implies more than one??  8)

Deaks

As its been said already multiple times in this topic, and thousands of times over the years, SMF does not give release dates, it will be ready when it is ready and it will be released sometime between now and never.  So please don't hold your breathe as we don't want you to suffocate.  But so you know recent github release says Beta2 so that will be out id guess before New Year.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Colin

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on June 07, 2015, 10:34:41 PM
Do we have an ETA on final release yet? or for Beta 2 as the name implies more than one??  8)

Beta 2 is close.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

carbonize

For those going on about an ETA I look at it this way. This release of SMF will be here before a certain splinter groups forum gets it's initial release out of beta.
C a r b o n i z e

stmaxx

I'm still content with the 2.0.10 and the responsive mod, I'm most certain that many will continue with this version for some time come and many are still happy to support it. even after the new version arrives, so I started back making themes again, as with some others I know. so no rush!

If you test other forums as I do, you'll see, there is nothing like SMF and the portals/mods that work with it :)
month ago I though I had found one, but wrong wrong wrong!

Still playing with the 2.1 themes as well but just for fun!

regards,
Maxx

Deprecated

Quote from: .Vapor on May 14, 2015, 10:42:46 AM
Updates are great BUT :

Using smf on a project site is still a no-go for me due to the aged look of smf.
When and Where is the major update to the look and feel of SMF?

SMF with default themes just isn't viable except for bare bones forums. That's what themes are for. Everybody recognizes plain Jane SMF as just plain. "Not plain" was never in the plans just like having every possible option was never in the plans.

The themers make the good themes. I've seen forums that were hardly recognizable as SMF because of the fancy dress-up job the theme did for it. Same for mods, I'm one of the modders, and I write mods that the SMF developers either didn't think of or (more likely) didn't think most SMF operators would want.

The SMF devs provide the bare bones. It's up to you to customize it with a theme of your preference, and add the mod packages that provide the features you want.

I'm starting my biggest project yet late summer or fall, hoping it will be BIG. With what I've gained writing mods for SMF and operating a forum here, a forum there, and the server work I've been doing recently (Debian) I finally have the skills necessary to launch a BIG project.

I'll admit I'd use vBulletin because vB (again with the right theme) is ideal for my project, but I know the guts inside SMF and what will make my site truly distinct is two major modifications (bigger than I've ever attempted, and both in alpha stage) which will be the vital part of my forum and will separate it from the pack.

I know I have no chance of writing those mods for vBulletin. I'll just dress up my SMF with a good theme and add all my favorite mods written by my favorite mod package author! ;) ;) ;)

Deprecated

Quote from: Poύνικ on June 07, 2015, 10:45:48 PM
As its been said already multiple times in this topic, and thousands of times over the years, SMF does not give release dates, it will be ready when it is ready and it will be released sometime between now and never.  So please don't hold your breathe as we don't want you to suffocate.  But so you know recent github release says Beta2 so that will be out id guess before New Year.

Well said. SMF 2.1 (or any release) is like watching a train way, way off in the distance. You see it's moving but it's so far away it seems like it will be eternity until it will reach you. And then suddenly WHAM! get out of the way or you'll be run over!!!!

I started back when 2.0 was in beta. Each step was agonizing. Then one day BAM! and we had a production rated release!

2.1 already looks great to me. I know I'll like it when it comes out of beta stage, I'm already running it on a 2-man work coordination forum and I love it! I just wish it will come out in time for my new project.

My new project is staged for late this year. Let's hope 2.1 is ready late this year too. Not knowing a thing about what the devs are doing, that would be my guess. Some time very late in the year. Make that a wild axx guess! :D

cpf

Quote from: Arantor on December 09, 2014, 08:21:36 AM
Considering that it's done by a group of volunteers doing this in the spare time - and they do all have other real lives to contend with (little things like jobs get in the way of stuff like this)...

Y'all need to speed it up.  I'm waiting...
Don't email me, PM me, IM me, contact me, look at me, breath on me, or even attempt to think about thinking of contacting me.  If you do, I will send you to the correct forum to post, where I will promptly tell you that you posted in the wrong forum.

青山 素子

Quote from: cpf on June 20, 2015, 11:55:05 PM

Feel free to either hire a developer to help contribute or contribute yourself. That'll speed things up. If you want the other volunteers to speed themselves up, that's more than just a little entitled.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Deaks

Quote from: cpf on June 20, 2015, 11:55:05 PM

Patience is a virtue ... learn it!
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Steve

I'm thinking that was tongue-in-cheek ... I would hope so anyway. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

青山 素子

Quote from: Steve on June 21, 2015, 09:35:12 AM
I'm thinking that was tongue-in-cheek ... I would hope so anyway. :)

Poe's Law
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

beyondperfect

Thats really a nice step.
Congratulations to the whole team.   ;D

LiroyvH

We thank everyone for their kind words on this major milestone, and the appreciation uttered towards the team! :)
We appreciate all the feedback, and we continue to work on our next great product: SMF 2.1.
Thank you for your enthusiasm, contributions and patience!

This topic is closing now.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: