Need help my SMF transfer failed. Please

Started by platinummack, November 21, 2014, 08:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

platinummack

Hi,

So I had installed an instance of SMF about 1 year ago. Had 100 users and a fair amount of posts. I am assuming all stored in the database which I still have. I simply converted to another theme and my front end/back end went blank. I deleted my entire forum after contacting GoDaddy as I could not get it back. I tried erasing that theme and then hoping it would revert to an older theme and bring up the site, via FTp but no such luck. I just got a blank, whiteouted canvass. So I decided to delete my entire forum with the board categories or topics and stuff. I then re-installed a new version of SMF and then tried to import all of my SQL data which I am assuming contains members, posts, topics or board categories and none of that is showing up in my new SMF

So my question is how can I make my database info express itself on the front end and populate my native configuration of the new SMF forum that I just installed with the board topics, members, posts, etc that it has stored.

Thanks

Omar

kat

Welcome to the forum!

The old forum... Do you know what version it was? Importing a v1.x database into a v2.x forum just ain't gonna work. :(

Kindred

if you still have the original forum database intact then no import needed...   just use repair_settings.php to point the new installation to the old database
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

platinummack

I already have the forum installed. new version of SMF 2.09 or something.
I want to import all of my data into it, so it populates

Don't i have to set up the same board categories as I had before?

ANyways, I can't direct using repair or anything like that to reinstall it using the old database as I have already created a fresh new instance of it, with no posts except a few of my own. Now I want to import the old date to populate my forum.
Let me know if this is something I can do

thanks

kat

As I said...

Quote from: K@ on November 21, 2014, 08:18:22 AMThe old forum... Do you know what version it was? Importing a v1.x database into a v2.x forum just ain't gonna work. :(

You'll need to install the same version. Then, you can upgrade, if you want to.

platinummack

So you are saying that what I should do is to delete this instance or version 2.01.
Reinstall the old version of SMF
and then do what, import using the SQL import feature in phpmyadmin?
If you wouldn't mind outlaying a few steps in sequential order so I understand the flow of what you are trying to say.
Much appreciated

Kindred

k@... if he has a 2.0.x version, it should not matter to install any other 2.0.x version.

platinummack,
you have gone about it the wrong way.

you don't install a new version and then import the database.
What yopu do it take your EXISTING database -- then use the large upgrade archive files (if you have settings.php) or the install archive (if you do not have your old settings.php) file...    and then make sure that settings.php points to that (old) database.
by running the install process, you have set up a DIFFERENT database (or erased the old one - which would be bad)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

platinummack

Settings.php or archieve file?
As I said, I erased everything.
from the old install.
All I have is the database

I could start from scratch which is what I did and I am already getting people signing up. I had a big but not huge membership as I wasn't really marketing it. now I am(my forum, I mean of course).

However just curious if I could bring back the old threads

Kindred

Fine...   Then put all of the files from the install archive into your forum directory...
And then manually edit settings.php to point to your OLD database and your NEW url and path...
Слaва
Украинi

kat

Quote from: Kindred on November 21, 2014, 09:02:05 PM
k@... if he has a 2.0.x version

The version in existence had never been determined, up to then. :P

platinummack

Wait I need help now. I went into settings. php and simply changed the name of my forum by one letter, and the whole board is gone. I tried to input that letter back and nothing. Do you know how to reinstate my forum

Here is the message I am getting
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/content/m/a/a/maaxseduction/html/viplounge/Settings.php on line 2

kat

Lesson one: Don't screw about with Settings.php unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

You didn't think to backup, I guess....?

What line did you change and to what?

Kindred

looks like you removed  quote mark or a line terminator as well as one letter change
Слaва
Украинi

platinummack

I fixed it. Thanks.
Just had to go to Go Daddy and restore my settings.php to a time stamp point.
Best

However, can someone please tell me how to ad adverts or a youtube video right on the board, above the main boards

Right now it says or echos the "Title" of my board, in that navigation div area, I want to remove that and put pics, ads, youtube videos, Do you guys know the area I am talking about? I have attached it.

See where it says the name of my board, I want to remove that "text" so I need to find the php file that echos it on the html page and then in that div put my own content like media, ads, etc

I tried simpleads, but it doesn't work for me. I create and ad and all and it doesn't display

platinummack

Also, I tried adding an ad management mod then uninstalled it, it now says "unable to load ad template" and I can't see my forum anymore nor my dashboard. What can I do?

Kindred

Well, did you back up before you attempted to install the mod?

Did you, perchance, ignore some errors reported during the installation or uninstallation?
That is usually the cause of such unable to load template issues

Your resolution would be to restor the backed up files that you should have taken before installing the mod... Or to manually remove any lingering code.
Слaва
Украинi

platinummack

platinummack

Kindred, if you don't mind, can you explain to me how I would populate my forum with my old database

I don't follow your steps or understand them. I know you outlined them in your "language" but to me, it's convoluted.

So let me get this straight, you said to take your existing database and use old settings. php..and input the db settings from the old db into it huh?
As mentioned I don't have anything of the old archived files from my initial install. They are GONE.

I have a settings php yes from the new install and it has settings from my new db.

I just have my sql db which contains my old boards, posts, members. That is what I would like to express in my new board.

So I wanted to know how to do that in steps.

I realize you have told me, but I understand in steps.

Kindred

Change the values in settings.php or use repair_settings.php to do it so that those values are pointing to you OLD database, not the new one.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: