Need help my SMF transfer failed. Please

Started by platinummack, November 21, 2014, 08:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

platinummack

So change the DB connection string values in my new settings.php file such that it is pointing to the old database?
Let me try that and let you know what happens. Thanks

platinummack

Kindred, I did as you said.
I opened up settings.php and changed the db info to my old db and it does not work.
I get this error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/content/m/a/a/maaxseduction/html/viplounge/Settings.php on line 2

Kindred

You are obviously not changing things correctly... Either you are removing quotes or inserting characters which are not allowed...   Which is why I suggested using repair_settings.php instead...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

platinummack

Not at all. I am simply editing the

db server/host name
username
dbname
password from the current to the old db's one.
Exactly, letter/number per letter/number. IT DOES NOT WORK.

I am trying to create a replica sub directory and then will install it from scratch using the install wizard using the old dB values. and let's see what happens.

Kindred

No. If you do that, it will erase the old database.

As I said, if you are receiving that error after editing the settings.php file, then you have edited things incorrectly. Plain and simple. since you can not edit the file correctly, use repair_settings.php to do the edits.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

platinummack

What? So look for a file that says repair settings.php and then put the old db info there?
I don't get it. Please give me steps. I am lost!

platinummack

IOW where is the repair.settingsphp file located?
Also, what specifically do I input in there?
the connection data to the old db?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

platinummack

Okay I can do that but "specifically" what do I do?
Do I add this to the same dir as my SMF files where settings.php is located and input the old db settings in here?
Also, you did mention that you can change the DB info to the old info in settings.php and I did do that and nothing, so what about this issue?
I appreciate your efforts, but I am having a little difficulty with these "disconnected" bits of steps to take.
I am more apt to understand a sequence like

Step 1
Download this to the X subfolder
2. Replace this, with the old DB settings
so forth

as opposed to

Do this? Okay but then what step is that? Where, how?

If you feel you can help me in this regard terrific but if not, then I thank you for your time and perhaps I shall post in another sub board so I can perhaps attract a "reply" that is a bit more understandable and sequential with respect to protocol as opposed to disjointed. As stated, it is how I process info via my main modalities. I appreciate your effort

Kindred

I have told you the steps several times...
Did you read the instructions on the repair settings link?

Change the database information to point to the old database.
You have not been editing the settings file correctly when you tried to do it directly, as evidenced by the error message.

Слaва
Украинi

platinummack

We are having a hard time communication. I just told you I did edit it the way you told me to or my interpretation of it. I try to ask you for clarity, you say re-read, even more confusing. Listen bud, thanks but I don't understand your methods or steps.

Best

platinummack

Kindred by the way, as you suggested to not use an installer, use an upgrader and then point to the old DB info.

(If that is not what you said, please correct me).

I did do that but without an installation of SMF, it won't work. It is looking for the settings.php file. As mentioned I dont' have that. All files from the original install are "Gone".

So let's say this.

I created a new subfolder, which will house a duplicate SMF forum.
I installed v 1.1.1. of SMF, went to the install.php file to carry out the install
When it comes to my DB info, I inputted my old DB info and it gives me an error.

Once again, I just want to use my old db info and bring back all of the boards, posts, members on a "new" install of SMF.
If you understand what I am trying to do, can you clarify the steps for me.

I don't want to tamper with my new install. Forget using backup.settings.php and all of that. Let's leave this install the way it is.

Let's start from scratch

New sub folder, with a new install of SMF 1.1.1. now I just want to populate it with my old db info-boards, posts, members.

Arantor

What Kindred was saying: if you have an existing installation that you're moving, you move everything, database and files (in which case you don't need to use either the installer or the upgrader) and then just point the thing at the right files.

Um... why did you install a copy of 1.1.1 exactly? Was your old installation also using 1.1.1? Because the database has changed greatly since then...

Kindred

And I keep telling you...  Since you had no backup of the files, what you did, installing is fine.

The final step is to edit your settings.pho to point to your old database.
That is the step that you seem completely incapable of performing.

If you directly edited settings.php with the old db information, and got the error that you reported....  The, you obviously made a major mistake in your manual edits. Probably because you did not use quotes, or semicolon line terminators.

THAT is why I told you to use repair_settings.php, since adding the details of the old database through THAT interface will correctly update settings.php for you.
However, for some reason, you seem compketely incapable of following those instructions.
Слaва
Украинi

platinummack

Kindred, not at all. I know about PHP syntax.

So I am telling you, I did it, you are telling me I didn't. We are not getting anywhere.
Take the lead from me and tell me what to do like

Okay, well in that case, send me a screenshot, let's see what you did
or something
Instead of restate the assumption you have or the problem. That is why I am posting her my man.

This is becoming back and forth rhetoric interplay. Not interested in that.
I encourage you to take my word. I am a pretty intelligent male, run a global business, so to say that
"I messed up" typing ABC, wen told to type ABC is a bit condescending not to mention non factually based as you have no idea what I did. You are making interpolations.

Arantor

So let's start with a fairly fundamental question, why did you install 1.1.1? Were you originally running the version from 2006 or something?

platinummack

Arantar, I don't remember what the old version was. It was erased

All I have is the old db with my posts, boards, members info.
So what Kindred is saying is to change the db connection settings in settings.php to point to the old db(I know how to do that)
And I am getting an error. So what now?

Can you give me the exact steps?
Do you need screenshots of what I did?
Would that help?
I really appreciate your help?
I'm also open to paying hourly (a few hours) to get this resolved.
I am also getting responses from other forums and locally in Toronto. I will solve this today
Just came back from MMA training, body building and I am juiced up to work on this.

Thanks guys

Arantor

Um, it actually is kind of important to know at least *roughly* what the old one was since the database has changed many times since then.

Yes, in theory you should change the connection settings in Settings.php to point to the old database.

You're getting an error... except I have no idea what actual error you're getting. Right now I've seen multiple different possible errors in this thread and I have no idea what state it is actually in. I do know that if you point a 1.1.1 installation at a more modern database it is guaranteed to choke on it though.

Best suggestion, drop a set of 2.0.9 files from the large upgrade package on there, make sure Settings.php points to the right database with the right username/password and run the upgrader.

platinummack

UPDATE

So I had Go Daddy look into it. Been escalated.
All of my connections strings, process was spot on.
They have an issue on their end that is blocking my IP or the Forum from installing.

Thanks for your advice and let's close this now. Will keep you up to date with what happens so it could help others.

Best

Omar
Toronto, Canada

Kindred

While I am glad you seem to have resolved your issues, I will tell you that excuse from godaddy is complete bs.  Nothing like that would have caused the error that you reported.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: