News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need help my SMF transfer failed. Please

Started by platinummack, November 21, 2014, 08:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

platinummack

Not the original error. That is a different error for a different issue.

I'm talking about a "cannot connect to db" issue when trying to install a new instance of the SMF. That is perfectly normal and makes sense. NOT BS. I know of such issues.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Kindred

You seem to be crossing wires and issues again... Since that statement bears absolutely no relationship to the last few dozen posts in this thread.

Is everything Working for you now?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

platinummack

In terms of getting the old posts, boards and members back up. Still waiting on second level support from Go Daddy solving this issue for me. Keep you posted.

Kindred

and THAT is the issue I have been tryingt o tell you how to solve, for the last 20 posts...

Change the database connection information in settings.php.

if you do that correctly, all your old data will be present (although you may still need to adjust the theme paths and urls)
period.
fixed.
end of issue.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

(Maybe... a 1.1.1 install looking at a 2.0 database is going to burn quickly. A 1.1.1 install looking at even a 1.1.20 database isn't going to work perfectly.)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

platinummack

and I am telling you I did do that for the 20th time. It is NOT working
I even had tech support, second level support at Go Daddy second that I was doing it correctly.
You can't see my files or edits, they can.

Anyways, I'll keep you posted, once I get a resolve.
Lastly, I am trying to reinstall the original version of SMF and connect that to the old DB
v 1.1.1 but GoDaddy is not allowing the connection due to a "firewall" as it was hacked many years ago.
They are looking into this and seeing how to allow me to establish connection.
it should be resolved within 3 days, after which I will post "victorious" here.

Arantor

So you have a 1.1.1 database and you're using 1.1.1 to connect to it (despite telling us you didn't know what version you were using)?

19 versions behind, yes, I can see how that might get hacked.

Let us know if you are 'victorious' but honestly, I've heard this excuse from GoDaddy before. I've heard many reams of BS from them, in fact. There is a reason I pay more for my hosting elsewhere...

platinummack

FYI a wonderful woman at Godaddy solved my issue.
My old forum is back.

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Kindred

what version are you running now?   And what did this wonderful woman from GoDaddy actually do?
Слaва
Украинi

platinummack

You can see it now

all of my members, posts and such are back now.
i just have to fix one issue which is the individual posts page breaks but working on it.

platinummack

here is what resolved it.

GoDaddy has a history view where you can modify files to a time stamp. I had apparently changed my DB password a few days ago and so in settings. php the password did not match. I thought it did. So I did update that and input the db connection settings to the old Db and it works. I was also able to restore the entire folder where SMF was installed to a time before this file was updated to generate the error and start from scratch. Now in doing so, my front end was showing, but my backend/dashboard was cut off. So I needed to find a way to get admin access back. Hence, I did a google search and some guy said just type in www.forumurl.com/index.php?theme=1 and my original theme came back which gave me access to the admin and I was able to switch themes and be back in business.

So now I have the theme I want
My old DB info back
The error message gone

I am happy!

SO you and I were both right in the DB settings being matched with the settings.php thing but I was wrong to think they were matched. they weren't. as the settings.php file was changed when I restored them to another time stamp. I now have them matched and the forum is up.

See

I just want to know how to

1. Upgrade to version 2.09 as I am running 1.1.1.
Any ideas

2. How to add social sharing icons or ideally a floating bar on the left so that users can share my content

3. I want to put a banner ad in the section that is above the main board.

Any ideas?

Kindred

Since you originally reported issues are solved and you have asked the exact same question in your other thread, I am going to lock this one.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: