News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Installation feedback

Started by zappaDPJ, November 21, 2014, 03:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

I successfully managed to upgrade an older (alpha?) installation that was originally a fresh install from GitHub files using GitHub files for the upgrade. When I tried to upgrade a copy of my live 2.0.9 installation using the same GitHub files, the installation failed to start due to missing files. When I tried the upgrade using files downloaded from here no such error was reported.

The short version, it seems to me for some reason you can't use GitHub files to upgrade from 2.0.x, only 2.1 and I did upload the files multiple times to be sure.

I'm actually now trying to diagnose an error I keep encountering when applying the update to my test 2.0.9 installation. I suspect it's a server issue but I'd appreciate any advice on that before I go knocking on  the provider's door. Screen shot of the error attached.

margarett

It probably is. That's your server not responding for a while.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

well, you CAN use the github archive to upgrade -- but the GitHub archive distribution requires some files to be moved, manually, before you run upgrade - regardless of the original version.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Kindred on November 21, 2014, 04:04:33 PM
well, you CAN use the github archive to upgrade -- but the GitHub archive distribution requires some files to be moved, manually, before you run upgrade - regardless of the original version.

Which is what I did and I think I got the right files because the upgrade on the old 2.1 alpha installation worked correctly :)

Kindred

there are DIFFERENT files to upgrade from 1.1.x 2.0.x or 2.1 alpha
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Kindred on November 21, 2014, 08:53:53 PM
there are DIFFERENT files to upgrade from 1.1.x 2.0.x or 2.1 alpha

OK, that would explain it, thanks. Have you any idea on what I would need to do to overcome the error in my screen shot (first post)?

margarett

Quote from: margarett on November 21, 2014, 04:02:16 PM
It probably is. That's your server not responding for a while.
Maybe you can set up a copy of your forum in your local machine and run the upgrade there, then return the upgraded version to your server?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Antes

or your forum has extra membergroups and upgrade script fail to change their icon status. Do you have any extra member group ?

NoPasaran

kralkartal.net SMF 2.0.8

margarett

Would you mind providing me access to your database so that I can check it?
If so, zip it with a strong password, load it somewhere on your server (via FTP) and send me the link and the password via PM ;)

margarett

I upgraded your forum without any issues in my localhost.
It is now running in your "x" folder ;)

Note to self: repair_settings works for the most part ;D

NoPasaran

wow good suprise..

thank you very muck margarett...

kralkartal.net SMF 2.0.8

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Antes on November 22, 2014, 07:51:37 AM
or your forum has extra membergroups and upgrade script fail to change their icon status. Do you have any extra member group ?

We do.

It sounds like doing the upgrade locally is the way to go in the short term. I'll give this a go. Thanks for the help and replies.

Advertisement: