News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

simpelmachines.org is slow

Started by lifeguard81, November 22, 2014, 04:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeguard81

For years i follow the development of SMF. Many times i visit this site and forum, and i see realy many times its loading slow.
Pages keeps loading for seconds.
For now, it takes more than 3 seconds Page created in 3.397 seconds with 13 queries.
Page created in 8.093 seconds with 18 queries.

It is not something from today, or yesterday, or last week, it is from a very long time. I see nobody open a topic to say, so i think it was me.
But after looking on other devices and places, i am sure it is just this site. Why nobody is doing something to fix this?

SMF on my own domain is running like a tiger, on other domains also. In my eyes it is very strange to see nobody cares.
People who is go to post now... FOR ME IT WORKS FINE AND FAST!!!! please stay away because this must be a known problem to the owners here.

2nd, dont get me wrong, i love smf and this community. I only want to say there is something wrong here.
www.doenwenu.nl
Excuse me for my english. i am from holland :)

Burke ♞ Knight

3 seconds????  OH NO!!!!!!!!
Someone, quick, call 911!  W have an emergency!!!

/end sarcasm...

Really? Going to complain when a site takes 3 seconds to load???
Ever see how long it takes to load Microsoft, or Google, or anywhere else?
Man, if all sites would load faster than 5 seconds, I'd be happy.

Oh, and since this site always loads faster than that for me, even on my old slow wireless notebook, where this page just loaded in less that 1 second, I'd say it's more your pc, or network than it is smf.

lifeguard81

second time it was 8 seconds.
but 3 seconds is to much for sure. look to mybb, phpbb, vb, ipb, xf... they are fast.

:)
www.doenwenu.nl

Shambles

FOR ME IT WORKS FINE AND FAST!!!!

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: ♞ Burke Knight ♞ on November 22, 2014, 04:45:56 AM
Oh, and since this site always loads faster than that for me, even on my old slow wireless notebook, where this page just loaded in less that 1 second, I'd say it's more your pc, or network than it is smf.

shadow82x

Page loads are under 1 second here, and I'm on a college network.

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 13 queries.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

radu81

For me the the pages here are loading fast, 0,x seconds, and sometimes I do see 0,0x seconds
sorry for my bad english

lifeguard81

Now its good, but it is not stable
www.doenwenu.nl

shadow82x

Quote from: lifeguard81 on November 22, 2014, 04:58:47 AM
Now its good, but it is not stable
Perhaps you saw a spike earlier due to the large amount of traffic coinciding with the 2.1 beta release.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Burke ♞ Knight

Not stable? Instead of nitpicking about a couple of seconds at this site, why don't you think of what I said?
Look at your own PC and/or internet, as I find that is usually the issue.

Also, have to take into consideration, where you are, an what is going on between you and the SMF servers. There may be a slowdown somewhere in that line. There is NOT a thing that SMF can do about that....LOL

Antes

If the page loads slow for you please check the footer Page Served... <time> with <number> query. If you see something like 0.102 secs & 24 query its your side. If you see something like 10.021 secs yea its from our side and yes some of our team members having bad times as well, today for example when Kindred cannot enter the site, smorg was responding me with 0.102secs.

We are sorry to hear you are having bad times, I hope you believe we are doing best to serve the best experience at smorg.

Thank you for your understanding.

ARG01

It has been extremely slow loading for me since yesterday. I just figured that it would clear up sooner or later.  ;D
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

lifeguard81

Quote from: ♞ Burke Knight ♞ on November 22, 2014, 05:10:19 AM
Not stable? Instead of nitpicking about a couple of seconds at this site, why don't you think of what I said?
Look at your own PC and/or internet, as I find that is usually the issue.

Also, have to take into consideration, where you are, an what is going on between you and the SMF servers. There may be a slowdown somewhere in that line. There is NOT a thing that SMF can do about that....LOL
You read my posts or not? I say its only here, so it has nothing to do withj my pc/tablet or teleephone or notebook. I have this on different locations, but ok.
Quote from: Antes on November 22, 2014, 10:08:59 AM
If the page loads slow for you please check the footer Page Served... <time> with <number> query. If you see something like 0.102 secs & 24 query its your side. If you see something like 10.021 secs yea its from our side and yes some of our team members having bad times as well, today for example when Kindred cannot enter the site, smorg was responding me with 0.102secs.

We are sorry to hear you are having bad times, I hope you believe we are doing best to serve the best experience at smorg.

Thank you for your understanding.
I dit. Forst time it was over 3 seconds, later over 8 seconds.
Now its good and its between the 0,9000 en 2 seconds. But sometimes it is bad. Ofcourse i know everybody here  works hard and try to get the best out of sms :)
Thats why i love it.
www.doenwenu.nl

Arantor

And this has nothing to do with the sudden influx of demand due to the new beta or anything? ;)

Burke ♞ Knight

Also, if you think of it, what I said, was a valid idea. I myself had a similar issue, where only a few sites took forever to load, compared to others.

Found out it was my PC, and how it cached the pages before the sites went through a DNS change, so it made them load slower. Some, would not load at all, until I changed my PC's DNS settings.

LiroyvH

Yeah that doesnt make much sense at all, caching before DNS changes making it slow...? Wha?
Not related to this in any case.

Our servers are indeed under higher stress than usual with the attention we got and get from the 2.1 release. Sorry for that. We do take steps to improve it and swap some extra resources around, but yes: during the highest peaks it can slow down a bit.
We do our best to limit the impact, and most of the time you shouldnt be noticing any trouble, or only very little lag. :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Kindred

Btw, there is a known issue with Apple devices... Because Apple sucks bananas

However, I suspect that your main problem may have to do with your path to get to this site rather than others. Network latency would definitely explain the issue that you have, which others don't seem to have.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

Kindred, I suggested that, too.

As for Core, Makes a lot of sense, to server techs, as that was reported as an issue on a few hosts I know of, when they updated their DNS and people that were at the sites effected before they did it, had the sites cached, and was still able to get to the sites, albeit slower than usual, while those that did not visit the sites shortly before the update, got the unable to connect message. Changing to Google DNS or Open DNS is a nice fix.

I usually recommend to use one of them, especially, for people that use cable companies for their internet. For some odd reason, they have a lot of DNS issues, compared to other internet providers.

LiroyvH

Yeah, no. The way you put it: it's complete nonsense. You probably misunderstood the issue/solution.

Switching DNS of a site to another server will absolutely not slow down the website at its previous server unless that server A.) goes down (and yes, perhaps you still have some parts cached. But that doesn't make it slower: that makes it offline entirely and you're just looking at your cache...) or B.) that server was slow to begin with or, purely by coincidence, is slow now. Neither of which are relevant here.
Judging by what you said "while those that did not visit the sites shortly before the update, got the unable to connect message": that proves the site went down at its original location. So if the DNS still resolved there: that didn't mean the site was slower... It meant the entire site was offline. Offline is probably the slowest you'll get, I guess... And that's not what's going on here. ;)

As for switching to Google DNS/OpenDNS making sites faster; that means either A.) the resolver you usually use was already slow to begin with (and thus not limited to one site: but to all the sites you visit.), OR b.) the same problem as above: the site is offline at its original location OR slow at its original location, and you're just bypassing the DNS cache of your provider (or just forgot to flush your DNS cache...) to get it back online at its new location...
Again, not relevant here... Unless the resolver is slow to begin with: but that will only cause problems the first time you try to connect; after that your computer and/or provider will have cached the IP('s) and it won't cause any more slow downs for a while.

And if you used Google/OpenDNS to get back to a site that was offline because your DNS didn't update: well duh, even if a site takes 60 seconds to load it's still loading faster than a site that is offline entirely and will never load...
Last but not least; cable, fiber, dial-up, DSL, sattelite, mobile: there are providers in every branch that have crappy DNS servers. It's not just limited to cable.
(Note: mind you, i'm not saying a fast resolver like OpenDNS/Google DNS can work miracles... But it can't fix issues that are totally not related to DNS... Like the issue experienced by the OP of this topic. ;))

What's actually most important here is the page generation times that are being reported.
You don't get that to happen because you use a crappy DNS provider. You don't get that to happen when there is a problem on the path from our servers to your computer.

No, that problem is at our side... I'll "gladly" admit it.
I mean, it's not fun: but I'm not gonna lie about it. :P And I didn't lie either that we do our utmost best to keep the servers fast under the circumstances (the sudden massive increase of visitors). At least reasonably fast. :) And that works out just fine 99% of the time.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Burke ♞ Knight

If the site went down, then the change to using google dns or open dns would not have worked.
If the site was down, it would have been down even after using one of them.
Trust me, I have dealt with this with 3 web hosts, and even my cable company had suggested using google dns to be able to access some sites that had dns updates. Now, how those that had been to the sites before were still able to access, would be only by the sites being cached.

Now what has me worried a bit, is how many people are not able to access said sites, after such dns updates?
How would one know if their site is not accessible to others? Especially, if the person is already using google dns, or open dns, or a isp that does not have these dns issues. Makes me wonder how many people can't access SMF due to such things. (No, not saying that you changed dns, but as you know, some isp's especially cable companies, have lousy dns, themselves...LOL)

Advertisement: