News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Whos Online Not Working in Maintenance Mode

Started by Willie, November 22, 2014, 11:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie

Whos Online is showing activity in various boards when we are in maintenance mode.  SMF 2.0.1

kat

Even if you're in maintenance mode, it'll show activity that was happening previously. I believe people can still log in, even though they can do nothing. (I could be wrong, with that last bit. No doubt my stalker will correct me, if I'm wrong).

Illori

it may be showing them doing anything, but they can not. it is just showing what they are attempting to do.

as a result this is not a bug.

they may be logged in but not completely as they can not view the boards etc as maintenance mode is enabled.

Willie

Only admin can login and access the board.      The whos online shows current activity, not past activity. It is wrong.

Illori

who's online is showing what they are attempting to do, that does not mean they can view the page they are trying to view.

Burke ♞ Knight

If someone goes back to a page, due to bookmark or history, it'll get them the same result, saying the forum is in Maintenance Mode, yet show for you, that they were trying to access that particular page, as that is what their URL bar would have shown them.

SMF does not redirect all attempts to go anywhere in the forum to the main page when in Maintenance Mode. That would be unneeded stress on the servers.

Willie

Thank you. I think I understand. It is a little hard to follow, especially when they are attempting to register.   
   05:12:18 AM    Registering for an account on the forum.

Arantor

That just indicates what they are trying to do. It does not indicate that it was actually successful - they were going to index.php?action=register (likely automated) and they would receive an error message.

2.1 does actually do something about this so it will tell you that they received an error upon trying to do such an action but there really is no security concern or bug here.

Advertisement: