News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

What's the best way to SE Optimize your FORUM? Anyone?

Started by platinummack, November 22, 2014, 12:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

platinummack

I read this thread and the moderator said it is useless for Forums.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=427913.0

What do you think?
Any advice?

Kindred

I think your question is actually answered in that thread.

Attempts to "optimize" a forum are mostly wasted.

I use Optimus Brace, but more for the actual user vie than any "seo benefit"

and prettyurl mods are almost completely a waste for Search engines.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

platinummack

Yes, I think SEO is becoming somewhat antiquated as social media presence is really the key to traffic now and also to SEO,yes?
Now in terms of SEO I guess I could add meta tags, a title and description  as that can only help yes?

Kindred

And what will you put into the meta tags for description?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

platinummack

My board is about social dynamics, dating, confidence, dating advice, how to attract women, self mastery. Most posts will have these keywords.

Kindred

In which case, the keywords will serve no purpose at all, since the uniqueness of each keyword is weakened by the overuse.
Слaва
Украинi

platinummack

Okay so then would you say that SEO is redundant for FORUMS. Any tips you have for this?
Once again, I could grow it by social media promotion, the way I grew my Facebook group to over 6K members right?

Arantor

There is a reason that there is a topic in this board entitled 'Forum SEO is a myth' ;) Yes, social media promotion is one very strong method.

platinummack

I also think that SEO for the main site is also not as effective even if you go about it the White Back way. You need to get inbound links from Social media to raise that even.

However in terms of my main site, any suggestions with respect to SEO or do you recommend for me ( I am already doing this) to really use Youtube, Twitter, Instagram, FB and such to attract loads of traffic and also forums?

Thanks

platinummack

So any tips on how to grow a forum other than what I am already doing which is
social media marketing, writing awesome content, etc?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Biology Forums

If you want the best SEO, I would suggest leaving everything the way it is. In your robot.txt, however, I would suggest omitting print pages. The best SEO practice is to have a lot of content that is original; you won't get recognized by Google or Bing or Yahoo any other way. To put it in perspective, if you create a thread on my forum, it will be added onto Google within a minute - I haven't performed a single SEO modification since starting my community. This took a lot of hard work, however, years of maintaining the website.

platinummack

Okay so I want to be picked up for PUA forums, PUA forum, Seduction forums, dating advice forums
So what I can do is to author content with these keywords in the Title or body yes?
Also, what about getting a domain name like maaximumpuaforums.com
Any other thing I can do?
What about a sitemap for the forum? How do I install that?
My main site has a site map that is regularly updated but what about one for the forum?
Will that help?

platinummack

Also I can see that Google indexed my previous threads, so I can use this to put keywords in them and the content. However, do you know how long it takes for a thread to be picked up by Google and indexed?

Kindred

1- keywords are useless. Google ignored them at this point.
2- sitemaps -- there are a dozen mods that will create sitemaps.  Personally I like Optimus Brave
3- googe searches and scans as it wants.   Sometimes you'l get picked up in 24 hours... other times it may take weeks
Слaва
Украинi

platinummack

I just contected about 50 guys in the dating coaching sphere either as potential students or teachers and they are promoting it to 1000s of their friends and just joined my forum right now in numbers. I created a canned, msg on FB and sent them an invite. They are ecstatic.

platinummack

With Optimus Brave, can you also create vanity or SE friendly URLS?
Can you add meta tags to posts?
What is this thing with robot.txt . I hear something about that?

platinummack

Kindred

no. Optimus brave does not do pretty urls -- because they are absolutely useless when it comes to SEO.

as for other variations of prettyurls...   they all are known to cause issues with various mods (although I understand the smfseo mod to have slightly fewer problems)  I have never used any pretty urls mods and my sites get indexed and found just fine
Слaва
Украинi

platinummack

So optimus
it allows you to disallow certain content from being indexed via robots.txt? Well I want everything to be indexed.
It creates a site map and updates it?
What about a section to add meta tags, h1, title tages to each of my post pages or to the main index?
So you are saying the pretty urls are useless? I have used them on my blog and got a lot of traffic for those keywords.

Advertisement: