News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Wordpress bridge mod?

Started by Marcelo Mika, November 23, 2014, 03:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Sorry, but you have no actual understanding of copyright law
You also don't seem to understand the difference between copyright and patent...

As for who owns the rights to a mod... That depends on the contract that you make with the developer. In most cases, the developer owns the rights to the code that he writes unless you have him sign over the rights (in which case, he will probably charge much, much more)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Marcelo Mika

Quote from: Kindred on November 23, 2014, 11:28:16 PM
Sorry, but you have no actual understanding of copyright law
You also don't seem to understand the difference between copyright and patent...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

Kindred

First, you can link to anything you want... That link does not imply understanding...  And from your posts, you obviously do not understand.

Also, Wikipedia, as good as it is, should never be used as a substitute for actual documentation (or, in this case, actual legal understanding)

There are several mis-statements and mistakes in that wiki article... And finally, that article is focused almost solely on written works... Code is slightly different...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Marcelo Mika

Dear, I put the link, also read and understand, I also know that wiki has its errors, but is quite efficient for elemental information.

If we read the fair use, we can understand that both ud as we defend a different part of reality, but they both form a complete reality as I try to explain for several hours.

"Fair use on the Internet" or "Effect upon work's value" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

In conclusion, and under different interpretations, fair use allows full or partial use of a copyrighted work for other work, if it does not harm the market for the work, the image of the Creator, or the economic benefit of, .

For me it is clear, one could modify without harming the creator.

But you are the owner of the theater, we must accept their desicion.

Now, finally, know any developer willing to write the mod?

If so, let me know, because I need to,

I do not understand much of encoded smf, and now after the 2.1 I feel more lost, which does not happen to me with the coding of wordpress.

Thank you for your attention.

Arantor

It is a shame that you fail to grasp the elemental information you link to.

Fair use is not applicable in this case.

I've been tempted to write it, if it wasn't for the fact that WordPress' code under the hood is such a mess. That said... if there's enough demand I'll write a paid mod to do it.

Marcelo Mika

Quote from: Arantor on November 24, 2014, 07:34:28 AM

Fair use is not applicable in this case.

Is just an opinion, whereas my opinion says that if would apply.

..... and I read too much, anyway your opinion or my opinion not worth as verdict, this requires a judge someone who has studied right to judge fairly.

If, wordpress is its coding is bad, I will not deny you're absolutely right, although it has improved a lot in recent months.

... But has much more popularity than any other script, this also discussed, with that compensates for its shortcomings.

Resource intensive? is not a problem, most of the sites are small fail to need a lot more, but if the company grows then won many $$ and you can pay a vps.
Currently, a vps does not cost much money, also is compensated.

And most good that has many plugins, many developers, many themes, many free, many of payment, whatever you want, * has it, with this also compensates chaos.

* No, anything it does not ... does not have a good system of forums, and I want smf + Wordpress.

I congratulate you, in good time you want to develop.

Years of users requesting it in many posts never found response to the request.

You think about the business, if the customer wants, the customer pays, then your bills, shopping for a few thousand dollars, are and can be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Now have to wait!

Arantor

QuoteIs just an opinion, whereas my opinion says that if would apply.

The difference is, I have been dealing with this sort of matter for some years...

Quote..... and I read too much, anyway your opinion or my opinion not worth as verdict, this requires a judge someone who has studied right to judge fairly.

True, I'm not a lawyer. However... I would be *extremely* surprised if I were wrong on this one. It's not like there haven't been cases of precedent in this sort of matter... oh wait.

Kindred

Exactly...   Marcelo, you have two people here who have been involved with software and websites for decades telling you something... 
Слaва
Украинi

Marcelo Mika

not always composing a song can sing, and do not always know who can sing compose a song ..... you up, I sing ....

@ Arantor

I as a lawyer, I fail to please the user, because the laws say things that are acquired are the property of the purchaser, whether for payment or whether by donation.

If the owner of the thing ceases to attend, for whatever reason, who acquired, has every right to do whatever it takes to make things continue to serve the purpose for which it was created.

The limitation of the acquirer goes back to not harm the manufacturer or author, for that matter, if not alter the copyright or patent, or if not commercially hinders the creator, or if not discredit the good name of the author, has all the full right to change the thing without restriction, be it restore a work of art, to modify a machine, or recode a program.

anyway this simplest, ....

someone step me this information and come up here.

http://code.mattzuba.com/blogbridger

So, despite what may be correct interpretation of the license, according to one party, here clearly states this.

Package is released under the Mozilla Public License v1.1.

MPL * is * an open source license
  (that has some limitations on how to handle authors and things like that but you can read the license for details) That Allows anyone to use and redistribute the code.

Under the conditions of this License, so if you could modify and redistribute the code.

Now ... is there any objection to modify it?

Arantor

As it happens, yes - I couldn't find any reference to the MPL before, all the indications I had were that it was not released under an open source licence. But since after digging about (and it is not obvious, in fact), it is MPL. This does not actually conflict with everything we've said about licensing; a mod without a stated licence is still completely off limits. But yes, I will concede you are right that this mod is MPL and thus the concern is not applicable in this case (but is in many, many other cases) and every assertion you made about fair use etc. is still invalid. The only thing granting the rights you want to use in this matter is the MPL. Not for social good, not for fair use or anything else but because the MPL specifically says to.

As for me doing it? No chance. The MPL would mean I would have to release it for free, and even if someone paid me to fix it up for current SMF versions, I'd be stuck doing a huge amount of support for a product I don't like, for free, and I have no desire to do that. So if it were ever to be a thing I'd work on (and I have no desire to do so), it would still have to be from scratch anyway just so that I could sell it to make *something* out of it where I don't end up spending hundreds of hours without pay.

Marcelo Mika

You can have the opinion that suits you.

Anyway, and for fair use, a court would be the user side and not the author. It's called "consumer advocacy". I have no doubts that his opinion is more closed to a criterion without reasoning.

It is simple to use common sense and reasoning, which sets bytes OIOIOI not everything in life are zeros and ones.

As I said, who do you compose and well
but remember compose a song does not mean knowing how to sing.

The programming code you is, do it well, I will a little bit more laws you, why we can not continue debating, because everyone has their vision, would do need the intervention of a judge to decide who is right.

For me this session is finished.

Arantor

As I said, there have been cases of this in the past which *have* gone to court and invariably the ruling has fallen on the side of the copyright holder and their rights being infringed upon. cf. in particular SCO vs IBM re Linux rights, Google vs Oracle re Android JVM headers.

It may be simple to use common sense but the lawmakers regularly do not. I would love to live in the land where common sense really is common and laws are applied intelligently but sadly I live in the real world.

Marcelo Mika

The world does someone with their struggle, and not humanity with his resignation ...

You are someone who is resigned to live in the world that others do?

I try to make the world better, fighting for equal rights ... I do resigned to mediocrity ...

SCO vs IBM Linux rights re, re Oracle vs Google Android JVM headers. does not apply to a case like this, where the author or creator left helpless consumer

in this apply different. Greetings.

Arantor

*shrug* Whatever the moral, ethical or legal debates (which I'm still convinced you're wrong about), you're still waiting for someone with the skill, time and desire to build this.

Notice that even though it has always been an option for people to build mods based on SlammedDime's... no-one HAS. No-one with the skills cares enough. And attitudes like yours - as though you are entitled to anything - are part of that reason, because no-one wants to build a mod for people who feel they are entitled to updates and such like. Good luck, you will need it.

vbgamer45

Thanks for the link I will put it on maybe list for one day...But more than likely not making anything for 2.1 beta release versions .
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Marcelo Mika

@Arantor

Please! do not say stupid things.

It is assumed that when a mod is built, it must be updated to continue operating with each major upgrade script. (smf)

By this criterion ud expresses the community of developers of smf is reversing with respect to all others.

If instead of discuss me So I have given 15 minutes of support, and would be ready to BlogBridge 2.1

more than 1200 vistias in this thread, so anything useful!

Illori

i think this thread has run its course.

Kindred

Perhaps it has.. but no one is insulting anyone and its not out if hand, so I don't think a lock is in order.

To address the point,  Marcelo. ..
By whom is "it assumed. .."?  If you are making that assumption then you are distinctly incorrect. There is no warrantee or continued developnent implied by the release of a mod.
Слaва
Украинi

Marcelo Mika

Quote from: Kindred on November 24, 2014, 07:54:37 PM
Perhaps it has.. but no one is insulting anyone and its not out if hand, so I don't think a lock is in order.

To address the point,  Marcelo. ..
By whom is "it assumed. .."?  If you are making that assumption then you are distinctly incorrect. There is no warrantee or continued developnent implied by the release of a mod.

What you think was the insult?
I have not insulted anyone.

I have good education and not insulting people.

Anyone who takes a soft, payment or free, knows that receive updates, so trust and installs

And if you think it well, do a survey.

You would put in their systems getting an application for an unknown, which sabra not give updates or sportte?

Please, more logical reasoning, and less whims teenagers to believe that everything is as ud says.

You can own this space, but that does not prove him to be right around the world goes beyond where your eyes see.

Kindred

Please reread... i said that no one was insulting and so the lock was not nedded. Please don't prove me wrong.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: