News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Wordpress bridge mod?

Started by Marcelo Mika, November 23, 2014, 03:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcelo Mika

well that are not compatible, but emulate and install all da ok,

the problem is that when I want to access from menu to menu settings, I get the message

Unable to load the 'main' template

what would be the modification to adapt the plugin to smf 2.1

Saludos !!

Arantor

Kindred

Even with emulation, many mods for 2.0.x will not work with 2.1... Although, because of hooks, some will...

But since templates have changed, significantly, it is not recommended...    Wait for mod authors to update mods. (And THAT is not recommended prior to at least rc versions)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Marcelo Mika

Quote from: Arantor on November 23, 2014, 03:24:03 PM
What plugin?

Arantor excuse me, is the habit of speaking of wordpress.

Quote from: Kindred on November 23, 2014, 03:27:03 PM
Even with emulation, many mods for 2.0.x will not work with 2.1... Although, because of hooks, some will...

But since templates have changed, significantly, it is not recommended...    Wait for mod authors to update mods. (And THAT is not recommended prior to at least rc versions)

I understand perfectly, but this mod to which I refer think that was abandoned by its author.

For this reason I wanted to try to start it, and if doing so try to load main, could work again.

Saludos !

Arantor

I was asking which plugin it was so that I could maybe help figure out what's wrong with it...

Kindred

Quote from: Marcelo Mika on November 23, 2014, 04:12:40 PM
I understand perfectly, but this mod to which I refer think that was abandoned by its author.

For this reason I wanted to try to start it, and if doing so try to load main, could work again.

Well, there are a number of issues with this...
First, even if the mod was a abandonned, you can not rerelease it yourself, unless the license allows it... Or it was comp,early rewritten.

Second, releasing a mod for 2.1 while it is in beta is probably not a great idea

Third, this board is for support of the core product... Not for mod development.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Marcelo Mika

ah!!  haha  ;D ;D , perfect, the mod is BlogBridge

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=download;mod=3008;id=176496

has little code, so you think I could get in 2.1

Relamente smf 2.1 is undoubtedly the best thing that could happen! and I would love to start the new site with 2.1

has little code, so I think that might work in 2.1

Relamente smf 2.1 is undoubtedly the best thing that could happen! and I would love to start the new site with 2.1 + Wp

Kindred

That mod was not released with an open source license that allows for release by anyone else...  Which means that we are not going to help you do what you are asking.

Even aside from the other issues that I listed, above.
Слaва
Украинi

Marcelo Mika

@ Kindred I understand what you say,

my previous response was to Arantor

I do not understand much about the license, but if it is not sold, if it is a social contribution, I think that would cause no harm, maxime if the credits are still the original author.

point 2 is not a good idea, it is true, but it is to start a site from scratch, and the truth was to test how it worked merged with wp.

point 3, you are right, excuse me.

Arantor

Doesn't matter, it is not allowed, not even as a social contribution.

Kindred

That is not how licenses work, Marcelo.

Unless the license specifically allows rerelease and redistribution, it is NOT allowed.  Since there is no specific license stated with the mod you mention, it defaults to the most restrictive license.  Paid or not has nothing to do with it.
Слaва
Украинi

Marcelo Mika

@Kindred  @Arantor Gracias por vuestras respuestas.

I understand, and not making a contentious debate this issue.

What I was talking about, is the fact that if a license applies to the "thing" that is freely distributed without profit, then,

if necessary do something  about the "thing", and that this remains utlil to the community, and continues to be distributed freely, then, although it may go against the license, it is not against the ethical and moral principles of humanity.

After all, the code are but ordered letters, not a tangible or digital fine with copyright, how could it be a poem or lyrics of a song, a photographic work, etc.

Well, in short this means that if the author does not allow it anymore can have a mod that fulfills that function?

Sometimes I think that would have happened to the automotive industry if the caveman had given him license to fire or the wheel, or samsung would have made if Graham Bell would have never dropped the phone license.

My concept is more philosophical, more hippie, if the simple fact that "thing" continues to operate pueder be useful to someone and not detrimental to its creator, then no harm.

But do not pretend to be understood, nor go against those who think differently.

For my part the issue is understood and chapter closes here, will not hold them lose more time with my stupid ideas for the benefit of society.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely Marcelo

Illori

Kindred

Except Marcelo, whatever you may want to believe, based on your personal ethics - has no bearing on actual, legal, licenses (which is what software is based on) nor does it seem to bear any relation to business ethics (and since Simple Machines is a business - we must subscribe to both business ethics and legalities)

It is not illegal or unethical to duplicate the EFFECT of any mod - regardless of the license.
What is illegal and unethical is to duplicate the CODING used to produce that effect -- and the CODING is what is protected by the license/copyright.

So - if you want to start fresh, and code your own mod that links SMF and wordpress --- go right ahead.
However, using the existing mod as a base for your coding is not legal.
Слaва
Украинi

Marcelo Mika

@ Kindred, Thanks once again for your kind reply.

I like to exchange thoughts and ideas.

I never want remove copyright

Just wanted to give support to mod, for continuing in the same way that the author did, and preserving their copyrights.

I think if the mod, was a product on sale, and which is downloaded from the website of the author, then there would be nothing more to say, because the license would aim to protect its commercial benefits.

and worse would redistribute free because we would be hurting the business of the author.

Here is where I understand that the license is perfectly applicable and protects the mod / author set.

Quote(and since Simple Machines is a business - we must subscribe to both business ethics and legalities)

Business : an organization or economic system where goods and services are exchanged for one another or for money.

Let me get it fixed on one thing ... discuss legality, ethics and morality is a set of real vs philosophical reasoning that can not be debated adjusting to a parliament run by laws, regulations or licenses.

Something may be legal even so, be immoral or moral being and still be illegal, think the world of business and human relationships, there are many examples !!

never had mp3 on their computers?
never downloaded mp3 or videos from the internet?
They never used protected material obtained from the internet?

They never gave a copy of a cd you bought legitimately or worse, downloaded from the internet?

Let's leave aside the hypocrisy.  ::) ::) ::)

Who is free to cast the first stone? (copyright Jesus) ;D

Let's be more realistic friends, enclosed in obtuse criteria, some good ideas are not successful, and having an open mind, bad ideas  :( become popular.

Post Data :

I do not want to create controversy, so I'll say that I agree with SimpleMachines licenses and their respective mods

As I do not agree is as applicable, or think it would have to be more flexible implied clauses that allow exclude prohibitions when these actions do not harm its creator, and benefit the community. that is, that when something is released free or nonprofit, could be tweaked to keep it running if copyright is retained.

Different thoughts of legality vs ethics are for another debate or philosophical reasoning.

Assuming about a possible real fact:

We have a forum smf since 2009 with 6000 members in 2011 put a website with wordpress, his members are active via a bridge, smf subscriptions and groups with wp is handled, then there are a number of configurations and possibilities persmisos could not replace

In addition, SMF uses a handful of mods created by amateur developers and they did for themselves and then shared, and that at some point stopped giving support simply because they abandoned the project.

Suddenly several mods smf stop working by successive actualizacionees because other authors disappeared from the face of the earth as eg idesign360.com

The worst that could have happened is paying, because now we lost money and hechar free hand to continue working for a license does not allow ...

And when we lose control over our project, forum, blog, classifieds, mods plugins ...

¿ What should we do ?

Track who generously shared once a mod to allow modify it, or look at Sr Idesign360 to allow us to modify what sold us?

No sir !! I do not agree that the license will benefit one and harm others.

So as I sit with someone sold me with lifetime updates and then left without saying where?

This is not illegal and lacks any ethics?

If you sold me, but not this more !! ... How do I update it to pay?
If you shared, and enabled me to download it for free from the web

And if you're not more, does not matter because, or so say the license, do I have the right to operate to fulfill its original purpose, otherwise violate the copyright, and if not economically have injured his creator.

For things how are you, SMF is unsuccessful too, because a good system cofigo well developed, is enclosed with a license playing against.

Appthemes says
Quote, all issues should be based ud published under GPL3 license, this means that if one buys it and changed a few lines and do something different, can also sell it in appthemes or anywhere, you can even buy it, give it away or sell it because GPL3 allows, if ud disagree, then this is not your place.

When someone throws something for free, a contribution, it should be possible to apply a more comprehensive approach, like they are long free and nonprofit, restrictive licenses are exempt, while the distro remains free.

As well, the community of SMF would grow even more or even better,

And while I think SMF is a big project, this clearly is not very popular, even though free access.

I say this because if reference is made to see around the web, smf this, behind other scripts forums, is still below the forums payment, because when a forum is economically profitable, pay a few dollars is not an obstacle.

Smf is free to download, and has free many mods, but the mods in its most are outdated or do not work, and many were abandoned by the creator.

This eventually brings the abandonment of considering migrating to another payment system script, for time lost in trying to make this work worth a vbulletin license.

If only you lock yourself in your world and think it's the greatest thing just because they view the world around you, never will understand how small and lost than these.

My final thoughts...

Beyond any rule, when something is free, becomes part of society, Michelangelo Buonarroti painted in the Sixtine , and then some qualified painter could retouch his work to remain part of society, and not thereby violated copyright. was ethical preserve it for the rest of mankind, because it was given without seeking any profit.

Administrator, feel free to delete or move because the subject matter lost the thread, although still consider an intelligent and interesting debate.

Greetings.

Arantor

QuoteJust wanted to give support to mod, for continuing in the same way that the author did, and preserving their copyrights.

The only way to preserve their copyright is to leave the mod alone because there is no other way to go about it. Their copyright trumps anything else since there is no licence granting any other freedoms, such as modification or redistribution.

QuoteI think if the mod, was a product on sale, and which is downloaded from the website of the author, then there would be nothing more to say, because the license would aim to protect its commercial benefits.

Nothing has changed, except you trying to ignore what copyright law has to say on the subject. Copyright law is quite clear on this point.

QuoteHere is where I understand that the license is perfectly applicable and protects the mod / author set.

Wrong. Copyright law and the terms of the Berne Convention (which if nothing else apply in the US where both the mod author and SM as an organisation are based) are very clear on this. Copyright exists the minute something is created.

Distribution of that without express permission (and none has been given either specifically or implicitly through any kind of open source licence) is breach of copyright, regardless of what ethics or morality is involved. It is a civil offence to do so (as in: can be taken to court for). Whether you *would* is irrelevant. Simple fact is, there is nothing granting you permission to do so, therefore we cannot endorse you doing it.

Quotenever had mp3 on their computers?
never downloaded mp3 or videos from the internet?
They never used protected material obtained from the internet?

They never gave a copy of a cd you bought legitimately or worse, downloaded from the internet?

Not this argument again. One can have all such files, quite legitimately, even obtained over the internet. One can - shockingly - buy such things online. One can also create such files themselves.

Whatever: copyright exists in a file the minute it is created. Period. It is a breach of copyright to redistribute without permission. Neither you nor us have permission to redistribute the mod's files beyond what is already available (which was done by the author himself, and is thus implicitly permission), but creating a modified version would violate copyright.

It is irrelevant whether you think this is morally sound or unsound, or ethical or unethical. This is what the law permits or in this case; fails to offer permission for.

QuoteSuddenly several mods smf stop working by successive actualizacionees because other authors disappeared from the face of the earth as eg idesign360.com

So what?

QuoteSo as I sit with someone sold me with lifetime updates and then left without saying where?

This is not illegal and lacks any ethics?

I know exactly where idesign360, for example, went. The fact he is not available to offer support is not your fault, not his fault, he is simply not available.

This is, unfortunately, a reality. But let us examine a different - but relevant - situation. You buy a product from ABC Corporation with 'lifetime warranty'. ABC Corporation goes bust. What now? You think you are entitled to warranty in that situation? Answer is no, and no law of any country will give you adequate remedy for that situation. Answer then is to suck it up and deal with it.

Whether it is ethical or not is actually completely irrelevant and you attempting to conflate ethics and legality will not get you anywhere. It is legal to be in that situation as unethical as it might seem.

QuoteWhen someone throws something for free, a contribution, it should be possible to apply a more comprehensive approach, like they are long free and nonprofit, restrictive licenses are exempt, while the distro remains free.

Yes - IF THE AUTHOR CHOOSES TO DO SO.

GPL, for example, is additional on top of copyright law. The author of something chooses to make their work available under that licence. It is that licence which grants you the right to supersede copyright law. That licence is what gives you permission to modify and redistribute, things copyright law does not.

No such licence is in force for that mod. So no additional rights beyond copyright law's granting. Sucks, but that's life.

QuoteI say this because if reference is made to see around the web, smf this, behind other scripts forums, is still below the forums payment, because when a forum is economically profitable, pay a few dollars is not an obstacle.

I know of a number of big companies that use SMF and don't bother to pay anything towards it. One of them even chose, some time ago, to publicly slander SMF for their own ineptitude.

QuoteThis eventually brings the abandonment of considering migrating to another payment system script, for time lost in trying to make this work worth a vbulletin license.

This is your choice, of course, but the situation is not substantially better there either. Only more people willing to take your money to do things, really.

QuoteBeyond any rule, when something is free, becomes part of society, Michelangelo Buonarroti painted in the Sixtine , and then some qualified painter could retouch his work to remain part of society, and not thereby violated copyright.

Sorry, but that's not how copyright law works in any country today. Copyright law is not about protecting society's rights, but creators' rights.

Kindred

well put, Arantor.

In addition to the above statements from Arantor...
Marcelo, your definition of "business" is not correct either.

For example: SMF is a business.   We do not collect money or anything else from the users of our software.
Since we moved to the BSD license, sites are not even required to maintain our visible copyright statement and link-back.

As Arantor notes...  The BSD license gives specific ADDITIONAL permissions on top of the standard copyright protections. Permissions which allow others to distribute and otherwise modify our software.  Since the mod in question does NOT have a license defined, the rights start and end with the basic copyright protections - which prevents re-distribution or modification and distribution.

As for your bogus argument on MP3 files etc...   what we choose to do (or not do) as individuals or have on our personal systems is irrelevant to the conversation. However, I would argue that there are MANY people who indeed have libraries of legally acquired media. (for example, my own digital media has been legally acquired either direct-digital or by digitizing a tape or CD that I purchased.)

Слaва
Украинi

Marcelo Mika

@ Kindred - Well said, this time his answer is clearer than that given by Arantor.

What expressed about the mp3 had the intention to demolish a strict defense of the fans legal aspects of something, in this case a license.
When it is clear that as individuals we are violating the sly.

But as you explain your, now well understood, much better.

Suppose an action!

Friend, if you remove the Mod, take it off the site, you open the package, you change the file names, you change the code that does not work, moves the lines a bit, pack it with another name, and upload the mod again

... The author can assume that was copied from his mod, and others will also be able say the same ...

But which state that this is so? in our consciousness, just there.

A text file in a package is not proof of anything if not legally registered.

Does this mod is registered trademarks and patents, as are the different patents worldwide. ?

You know the dispute between Marconi and Tesla respect to patents of Radio?
esi if you have any sense because it involves a great invention and millions in dance.

This is verified in an international court, and it is not loaded in the internet that puedria alter any file.

Someone is going to sue us operate it again?

Ok, if you can not do anything, do that, nothing but think we would have to change some things to make everything better.

For example, the community of ThemeForest, respects copyright licenses, although these are based on gpl 3 and that's good, because good intentions worth more than the same license.

Kindred

Sorry no.
If you change the name and move a few bits around, it is still the same mod, and altering it and/or distributing it is still not legal.

It does not have to be "registered" anywhere. It's creation and distribution under the original release is sufficient to define its existence and give it the protection of copyright.

Basically, you are out of luck. Find someone to write you a brand new mod without reusing the existing code.
Слaва
Украинi

Marcelo Mika

Not registered, there may be copyright, but no I fail to whoever court can not prove it belongs. belongs ...

You know the dispute over the "IDEA" facebook?

Who owns facebook today?

When I had the idea, or that launched?

When it launched! and precisely because who started it did registers, but who had the idea had written a code much earlier.

Returning to the simple mod, ud know someone who can code the new mod?

I do not know any, but I'm willing to pay for its development.

In this case, the credits of who will, of whom write it, or whoever handles development?

Advertisement: