News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Disable user's message editing after admin/moderator's edit

Started by Humphr3y, November 24, 2014, 03:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humphr3y

Hello everyone,
I could surely use a feature that allows the forum's administrator to disable user's own message editing after an admin/moderator's edit - something previously discussed here and here. The mod appears to be dead :'(
Is there a chance to see it in the future?

Thanks a lot, keep up the good work

Dragooon

Dragooon

How should the interface be? Add a tick box under options that says disallow further editing from poster?

Humphr3y

Interesting question. The simpler the better, I guess - and that seems pretty simple.

Humphr3y

Given this answer

Quote from: Antes on November 24, 2014, 07:08:47 AM
Quote from: Humphr3y on November 24, 2014, 03:17:09 AM
Quote from: Oldiesmann on November 21, 2014, 12:40:06 AM

• A bunch of other stuff!

• Lots and lots of other internal and external improvements!

Thanks a lot for the great work (the new version seems awsome, can't wait to see it out of Beta status)! If I may ask, will there be anything like this?

Seems nice for some type of forums but in general its limiting the usability for some users and that's not really acceptable as core feature.

and this one

Quote from: Kindred on November 24, 2014, 08:22:33 AM
Quote from: Dragooon on November 24, 2014, 07:11:59 AM
Quote from: Kindred on November 24, 2014, 06:41:31 AM
no...
CSS isn't a good choice?

didn't see there was a new page of posts in the darned browser
the "no" was responding to the same comment that you and Antes responded to...

and probably this one

Quote from: Arantor on November 24, 2014, 07:31:39 AM
Unlikely to be a core feature in 2.1, though it could be made as a mod more easily with some of the under the hood changes in 2.1 now if I remember rightly.

I assume this will NOT be a feature in any version of SMF to come. May this request be moved to the "Mod requests" section then, please?

Thank you all for your help!

Arantor

Well, my comment was more of an observation rather than an answer. I personally wouldn't encourage it in the core - even though I have implemented this functionality before.

The reality is that it actually ends up causing trouble in unexpected ways.

Kindred

I agree --   I definitely think this should be mod material...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Humphr3y

Arantor's precious help about setting a maximum time for users to edit their own posts made me discover this general setting.

It turned out this is not exactly what I'm looking for, since what I need would rather be this.

In any case, in my desire I'd like to let anyone edit their own posts with no time limit, unless a moderator already edited it.

Thank you all again

Advertisement: