News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

where do I unsubscribe?

Started by paleolith, November 24, 2014, 11:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paleolith

Got the latest newsletter. At the bottom it says "If you do not wish to receive [information e-mails such as these], please login to the community forum, and in your profile select that you do not wish to receive the newsletter".

OK. But I look at my profile and do not find any such options. How do I unsubscribe?

I notice the pinned thread about sigs, which says "users will not be able to add profile information including a signature until they have made more than 10 posts". Is it possible that this is also preventing changes in email prefs until making 10 posts? I'll find out in a minute, since I'm showing 9 posts and so this will be #10.

Edward

Arantor

Well, now you have 10 posts, you can unsubscribe from your profile now. :)

Yes, most of the extended profile stuff is tied to the same permission as signatures, which is limited to >= 10 posts here to deflect spammers.

paleolith

Yep, all of a sudden that option appeared.

I'd say that's a bug. Preventing me from unsubscribing is a Bad Thing.

Edward

Arantor

It's not a bug, it's just not great design.

paleolith

A design bug is still a bug.

Edward

Arantor

It's not a bug, trust me on this. It is by design, but not good design.

It has been changed in SMF 2.1.

ARG01

Quote from: paleolith on November 24, 2014, 12:07:36 PM
A design bug is still a bug.

Edward

I am not sure that you understand the concept of "bug"? It is not a bug if it is intentionally implemented. A bug is an unintentional flaw within the design.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

quodo

Now I would like to unsubscribe from the newsletter. However, this is my first post...

Should I now spam this thread with 10 messages  ;)
Without joking, what can I do to stop receiving the newsletter...

Kindred

I have updated your profile to remove the notification.

Do note, however -- we only send out announcements for releases and critical security issues
-- So, on average 2-3 a year (if that)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

quodo

Quote from: Kindred on November 25, 2014, 09:52:48 AM
Thank you

Do note, however -- we only send out announcements for releases and critical security issues
No problem, since I no longer use SMF myself (e.g. maintain anything with SMF that is).

prodowns

I want to unsubscribe too.

I was a web developer a long time ago. So i signed up your site. But now i don't want the newsletter e-mails. Otherwise, i have to delete my account. But this isn't necessary, may be i can use smf again.

Kindred

Well, to be clear, they are not newsletters. The only thing we send out are security announcements
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

LiroyvH

^ to add to that: we did unsubscribe you from said notifications. ;)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: