News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

The upgrader found some old or outdated files.

Started by dsanchez, November 24, 2014, 08:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

However I have extracted the smf_2-1_beta1_upgrade.zip over the old installation

Any ideas?

The upgrader found some old or outdated files.
Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package.

Kindred

File permissions may have stopped your upload from actually overwriting. ..
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dsanchez

I have removed the old Themes directory and have unziped the large upgrade file. Then I put my user and password and I get:

The upgrader found some old or outdated language files, for the forum default language, english.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package, even the theme and language files for the default theme.

If I click "Skip" it asks me to put my user/password again, and the same happens again...

Antes

There also should be a "Try English" did you used that? You should switch to English (US).

or check your settings.php for $language and set it as $language = 'english'; its probably $language = 'english_british'; (or something like that).

dsanchez

language in settings is set to 'english' only

any other ideas?

kat

This "Old installation"... What version was/is it?

Do you use UTF-8?

The most up to date English language files, as far as I know, are these two:

SMF 2.1 english: http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-1_beta1_english.zip

SMF 2.1 english-utf8: http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-1_beta1_english-utf8.zip

dsanchez

Quote from: K@ on November 25, 2014, 06:47:58 AM
This "Old installation"... What version was/is it?

Quote from: K@ on November 25, 2014, 06:47:58 AM
Do you use UTF-8?

The most up to date English language files, as far as I know, are these two:

SMF 2.1 english: http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-1_beta1_english.zip

SMF 2.1 english-utf8: http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-1_beta1_english-utf8.zip

I download the files but they're 0 Kb... seems the language files were not correctly updated.

kat

Ugh! I just read a message, elsewhere, about some server, somewhere, being on the fritz. :(

Great timing, huh?

I don't have those files, myself, or I'd attach them.

I can only suggest that you keep trying.

Sorry 'bout that.

Kindred

As stated in the initial release announcement - none of the language packs, outside of the default english pack, are currently completed - even if the server was correctly updated.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

You may trick the installer with changing index.english_brit & install.eng_brit files they should be like

// Version: 2.0.8; index
// Version: 2.0; Install

change to

// Version: 2.1 Beta 1; Index
// Version: 2.1 Beta 1; Install

Arantor

dsanchez

Quote from: Kindred on November 25, 2014, 08:51:16 AM
As stated in the initial release announcement - none of the language packs, outside of the default english pack, are currently completed - even if the server was correctly updated.

so... any other ideas?

Arantor

wunderbunny

I had the same problem today.  My language setting is english with  character set ISO-8859 and  locale en-US.  The problem (on my site) was with the migration from production folder to new (beta test) folder.

Here is how I got the upgrade to work.  I will leave the steps here in case someone else has the same language setting.  I'm running Linux with Cpanel, File manager and PHPMyadmin.

1.  Do not change your production forum (the one which your members are currently using).  They won't like it if your forum suddenly breaks down. 

2.  My production system is 2.0.9.  However, when I went into the admin maintenance screen, I found that two files were out of date:  Themes\default\index.english.php and Sources\subs-post.php.  I copied the latest versions of these from the SMF 2.0.9 upgrade package.

3.  Copy the production forum.
     a)  Create a new directory and copy all the files and folders from your production forum to it.  Write down the name of the new directory.

b)  Create a new database and copy the tables from the production forum database to it.  Write down the name of your database, the database user and password.

4.  Go to the Themes directory.  Delete all folders except Themes\default.

5.  Go to Themes\default\languages.  Delete all files in there.  (This could be overkill but I've been playing with this thing all day and it was the only way I got it to work.)

6.  Extract the upgrade package into your new directory.  (The new Themes\default\languages files will be copied.)

7.  Download repair_settings.php and upload it to your new forum directory.  Execute repair_settings.php and:

a)  Update the database name, username and password.
    b)  Update all Paths & URLs with the new forum directory
    c)  Click on Save settings

8.  Run upgrade.php.

9.  Remove repair_settings.php after use.  There is nothing to stop a malicious person from viewing / editing these settings, if you leave the file there.

I cannot say this will solve everyone's problems but it might help those, who have never tried to test a beta upgrade before.  Let me know if there's anything I missed.

Illori

What is repair_settings.php? would be much easier then editing Settings.php and editing your database manually.

wunderbunny

Thanks for that.  I've updated my post accordingly.

I'm old school.  I have programming experience so it's second nature to me to hack into things.

qICEp

Quote from: Illori on December 10, 2014, 06:43:08 AM
What is repair_settings.php? would be much easier then editing Settings.php and editing your database manually.
No it wont because of URL's and PATH's. (repair_settings.php is suggesting it to you and its a few clicks only)

Kindred

What?

What you just said made no sense at all qICEp
Слaва
Украинi

dsanchez

puting repait_settings.php in the directory did the trick! thanks a lot wunderbunny!

this is how the site looks (its not in production):

http://curefans.com/curefans2/index.php

Advertisement: