News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Is this how you upgrade your theme without breaking your forum?

Started by platinummack, November 25, 2014, 12:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

platinummack

I currently have a theme "black and white" compatible with version 1.1.1
I want to upgrade to SMF 2.0 so that I can use mods like social sharing and ads, etc

So would I first upgrade and then change themes or get a theme first, install it that is compatible with all versions up to 2.X
and then upgrade

Anything else I have to do?

Can you give me a step by step guideline with max 2-3 steps please.

Thanks

Arantor

You would upgrade, then remove the theme, and install a new one.

No theme will work on both 1.1 and 2.0 at the same time.

platinummack

Got it, so what would happend to my forum after the upgrade since I am using a theme comp with 1.1.1. ? Would it break my site? or access to my admin panel for me to log in and make theme changes? Or would that still be intact?

Arantor

It should force you to use the 2.0 default theme so you can use the forum while you find a new theme to replace the 1.1 theme you were using.

platinummack

Got it, so the default them ( I think it is bluish) that is installed for you is already 2.0 compatible so you will see that. I then search for a similar 2.0 theme with more less the CSS style that I like and that's it.

Would i simply upgrade within the SMF dashboard or would you recommend downloading the upgrade pack from SMF.org?

Arantor

You cannot upgrade from within the dashboard from 1.1 to 2.0.

I even linked you to the official instructions earlier on today on how to do this, but to avoid wasting yet more of my time reiterating myself: Upgrading SMF which even actually specifically explains this.

platinummack

Okay was that in this thread, your instructions? I'll read it

Irisado

The instructions are the link in the part of Arantor's post that I have quoted:

Quote from: Arantor on November 25, 2014, 01:32:32 PM
I even linked you to the official instructions earlier on today on how to do this, but to avoid wasting yet more of my time reiterating myself: Upgrading SMF which even actually specifically explains this.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

platinummack

Yes I do see all of the steps when I click on that link. Thank you very much.
Okay one last question, upload the upgrade archive into the same folder as my lounge right?

Arantor

No... unpack the zip file and then upload the files over the top of the files in your forum. Like the instructions say.

platinummack

Why can't i upload the zip file first and then unpack it over the files in my forum then via my GoDaddy cpanel's file manager? Will that not work?

Biology Forums

Quote from: platinummack on November 25, 2014, 04:51:03 PM
Why can't i upload the zip file first and then unpack it over the files in my forum then via my GoDaddy cpanel's file manager? Will that not work?

If the cPanel has an unzipper, then it's the same thing, but I would suggest unzipping in on your PC, then copying and pasting it into your public_html (or where your SMF main directory is located).

Note: I would suggest downloading WinSCP or Filezilla instead of using something that is broswer-based for file transfer.

platinummack

I have filezilla.
Okay so download the .zip
Unpack it into a folder on my desktop
Select all, copy all folders/files and then upload it via Filezilla to the folder where my SMF install is and then
do I go to a url like when you install www.yousite.com/smffolder/install.php
Do I go to something like .......upgrade.php?

Arantor

Kindred

Actually, we have recent evidence of more stupidity at godaddy "security" which may result in files being deleted as they are uploaded from FTP....  So, if you try to upload from FTP and stuff fails, try the godaddy file manager which seems to be the only thing that works for those sites
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

platinummack

Yes that is what I had to do last time. Unpack the original install via GoDaddy's file manager.

Okay I think I am stuck. I'm at step 4/5

It says 85% complete
Executing database changes. please be patient
But at the bottom it says "database changes complete". Pls click continue to proceed.

So is it still processing based on the ".....pls be patient" msg or done based on the "......changes complete" message and I should now click on continue?

Thanks

Kindred

I would bet that it's 45% overall... Which means that there is more to be done, but that section is complete... So yes, press continue.   Anyway... The continue button is disabled until it is ready to be used.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

platinummack

I did click on continue and I get this error

Warning: require_once(/home/content/m/a/a/maaxseduction/html/viplounge/Sources/Subs-Auth.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/m/a/a/maaxseduction/html/viplounge/Sources/Security.php on line 543

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/m/a/a/maaxseduction/html/viplounge/Sources/Subs-Auth.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/m/a/a/maaxseduction/html/viplounge/Sources/Security.php on line 543

I think I know what's wrong. I remember when I FTPd the original install into my server on Godaddy and then went to install.php and went through all of the steps, it was fine. The second last one, I got a similar error

GoDaddy rep said upload the zip version to the folder, log into Godaddy, cpanel...file manager and unpack it there, then go through with the installation or in this case upgrade wizard. the install worked perfectly. I think something is up with installing/upgrading files that are FTPd via ftp client to Godaddy.

could this be a probably reason?

If so, I will upload the upgrade.zip folder
Go to Godaddy, unpack it via file manager and then go to ......upgrade.php and carry on as usual. It hopefully should work.

platinummack

I just checked and it is deleting the subs-auth file when I upload it via FTP.

Advertisement: