News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Why is there a limit on BBCode tokens?

Started by Bruce Banner, November 26, 2014, 06:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Banner

Why is it that I can only use one content token, or two option tokens, in one BBCode.  I've got several codes I'm trying to program that need several tokens or else they won't work.

Arantor

That would be a limitation of whatever mod you are using. SMF itself is quite happy to handle more if properly implemented. But for those I guess it would require custom coding.

Bruce Banner

Quote from: Arantor on November 26, 2014, 07:32:25 AM
That would be a limitation of whatever mod you are using. SMF itself is quite happy to handle more if properly implemented. But for those I guess it would require custom coding.

Thanks.  I'll try seeing if I can custom code one myself.  If not, I don't know what I'll do.  Creating custom BBCodes is the one thing I'm really not liking about SMF so far.  Love all the rest of the features it has that phpBB doesn't, but when it comes to creating custom BBCodes, which in phpBB is extremely simple, it's extremely complicated and difficult and frustrating and tedious.

Arantor

-sigh- I left your thread open so I could take a proper look at it today but I'm sorry, I can't deal with this level of impatience :( You realise that everyone here is a volunteer doing this in their spare time, right?

Bruce Banner

Quote from: Arantor on November 26, 2014, 07:38:21 AM
-sigh- I left your thread open so I could take a proper look at it today but I'm sorry, I can't deal with this level of impatience :( You realise that everyone here is a volunteer doing this in their spare time, right?

I wasn't complaining about anyone here, I was complaining about the difficulty of the software.  And no, I didn't realise everyone here was a volunteer.  I assumed most were official staff members.

Arantor

Yes - even the official staff members are volunteers.

Bruce Banner

Quote from: Arantor on November 26, 2014, 07:49:36 AM
Yes - even the official staff members are volunteers.

Well as I said, it's the software I'm complaining about.  This aspect of it is unnecessarily difficult.

Arantor

Given that SMF bbcodes are actually much more powerful than phpBB bbcodes, that's not entirely fair to say.

A bbcode in SMF can literally do anything. For example, the mod I'm working on is a gallery; I have a [media] bbcode, where [media]1[/media] will load media item 1. To save trouble on the server, that bbcode proceeds to check if the user can actually see the item and if not, display a warning message to the user - all from within the bbcode itself. That isn't possible in phpBB last I checked, where you can only do simple substitutions.

That's why it's 'unnecessarily difficult' as you put it - because it's that much more flexible.

Bruce Banner

Quote from: Arantor on November 26, 2014, 07:55:22 AM
Given that SMF bbcodes are actually much more powerful than phpBB bbcodes, that's not entirely fair to say.

A bbcode in SMF can literally do anything. For example, the mod I'm working on is a gallery; I have a [media] bbcode, where [media]1[/media] will load media item 1. To save trouble on the server, that bbcode proceeds to check if the user can actually see the item and if not, display a warning message to the user - all from within the bbcode itself. That isn't possible in phpBB last I checked, where you can only do simple substitutions.

That's why it's 'unnecessarily difficult' as you put it - because it's that much more flexible.

Well I can understand that more flexibility requires more complication but I didn't know it was more flexible.  So therefore I didn't know it wouldn't be as easy.

Kindred

and it can be as complicated or simple as you want - depending on what you are trying to do.

the bbcode script for BOLD is really simple.
The bbCode script for URL is slightly more complicated.
the bbCode script for IMG and QUOTE can get downright labyrinthine
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bruce Banner

Quote from: Kindred on November 26, 2014, 08:06:07 AM
and it can be as complicated or simple as you want - depending on what you are trying to do.

the bbcode script for BOLD is really simple.
The bbCode script for URL is slightly more complicated.
the bbCode script for IMG and QUOTE can get downright labyrinthine

I may have to just stick then with whatever custom bbcodes people have already done and put in the mods section, because I know next to nothing about coding, so unless it's childishly simplistic, I'm lost.

Advertisement: