Cleaning up after an upgrade

Started by MensaMod, November 26, 2014, 11:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

That url looks very wrong..,

It should be agm2m.org/sandbox

And index.php should NOT be defined as,part of the forum url. It will be added automatically when you visit the page
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MensaMod

Here's what I get from my browser...

MensaMod

Can I move /sandbox out of /home/m2madmin/public_html and put it straight into the /home/m2admin directory?  Is that legal? Would it help?  (Sorry for the dumb questions, I grew up in a different compute environment.)

Kindred

no.  it is in the right place.

I think you have set it up incorrectly in the settings rather than accessing it incorrectly.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MensaMod

I just ran path.php from where the SMF files are rooted and it told me
This Is Your Absolute Path: /home/m2madmin/public_html/sandbox/public_html

This is what's in settings.php
########## Forum Info ##########
$mbname = 'Anything Goes M2M Discussion SIG ** SANDBOX**';      # The name of your forum.
$language = 'english';      # The default language file set for the forum.
$boardurl = 'http://agm2m.org/sandbox/public_html';;      # URL to your forum's folder. (without the trailing /!)
########## Directories/Files ##########
# Note: These directories do not have to be changed unless you move things.
$boarddir = '/home/m2madmin/public_html/sandbox/public_html';      # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)
$sourcedir = '/home/m2madmin/public_html/sandbox/public_html/Sources';      # Path to the Sources directory.

########## Error-Catching ##########
# Note: You shouldn't touch these settings.
$db_last_error = 1416875841;

# Make sure the paths are correct... at least try to fix them.
if (!file_exists($boarddir) && file_exists(dirname(__FILE__) . '/agreement.txt'))
$boarddir = '/home/m2madmin/public_html/sandbox/public_html';
if (!file_exists($sourcedir) && file_exists($boarddir . '/Sources'))
$sourcedir = '/home/m2madmin/public_html/sandbox/public_html/Sources';

$cachedir = '/home/m2madmin/public_html/sandbox/public_html/cache';
?>

Any suggestions?

MensaMod

Yoo-hoo?
Still broke -- this URL http://agm2m.org/sandbox/public_html/index.php is still consistently giving me the White Screen of Death (Unable to load the 'main_above' template), whereas this one http://agm2m.org/sandbox/public_html/index.php?theme=1 gets me into SMF and everything works fine thereafter.
Is there someone there who knows the code well enough to explain the difference in behavior and more important, tell me what to do to fix this?
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving.  I'm sure we'll both enjoy the cranberry sauce more after this is behind us.

Illori

did you reset the default theme for everyone as you were asked to do already?

admin -> themes and layout reset everyone to SMF Default Theme - Curve

also you dont need the additional public_html folder. you could move your forum up a folder and use repair_settings.php to fix the paths.

public_html should not be in the url.

What is repair_settings.php?

Kindred

Also, please note that the term "white screen of death" is actually very specific.
If you have ANY text on the screen at all, it is not the WSoD.
WSoD is a php-level crash/error.

What you are seeing is an error somewhere in the script -- and if you really did load a celan set of files, I can not imagine WHY you are still getting that.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Because loading a clean set of files does not mitigate the fact that there is still a 1.1 theme present and stored in the database and being used.

I'm still convinced the whole 'reset everyone to default' has not been carried out properly.

MensaMod

Found it -- missing Themes that were still referenced in the database though not present in the 2.0.9 fileset.  It wasn't that we had contamination from an old-style theme, we were looking for one that doesn't exist.

Nearly all my users had customized one or more of the dozen+ themes we had installed so I was trying to avoid resetting everyone.  When I unchecked Allow members to select their own themes and the system default to Curve, the issue cleared up.  The old default was Techhead, which apparently is no more. 

When I looked at the /sandbox/Themes directory, the only subdirectories in there were those for /core and /default.   I used the Theme Settings page to delete all our hold-overs, then downloaded and installed a few that looked close to some we had.  I released the theme constraint and then checked logging off and back on under each and they all worked OK.

There's still a question, though.  After all that and even though the new themes work, the Theme Settings page still doesn't like where they're sitting.  For example, see the cut.  This is (I hope) more an observation than a problem, because I expect I won't see it when I apply the upgrade to the live system.

Happy Burpday, for those celebrating same.  Thanks for the help on this.

<ETA...> Never mind on that "observation" -- I now understand that the red X is just a delete icon, not a problem indication.

Arantor

Yes, that particular issue is purely aesthetic based on being on a very narrow window (800px is smaller than Curve was really designed for)

Advertisement: