News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Bots/Spammers constantly joining my forum. Help

Started by platinummack, November 26, 2014, 02:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

platinummack

Hi there,

So I have added a double step registration process which includes a captcha and security question, yet I constantly get bots/spammers registering for my board. I obviously disapprove of them as it is "admin approval pending", however does that still write them into my db and take up space? What can I do to prevent this?

Arantor

Your question isn't configured correctly, you have to fill in the number of questions to ask, a setting or so above the questions themselves.

There's also plenty of advice on keeping the spammers out: Spam - my forum is flooded with spam, what can I do

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on November 26, 2014, 03:16:26 PM
Your question isn't configured correctly, you have to fill in the number of questions to ask, a setting or so above the questions themselves.

i believe you were the one that moved it back where it should be a few patches ago ;)

Arantor

I know I moved it, yes. But I didn't remember if I only moved it in 2.1 or not ;) And in any case the OP still hasn't hasn't filled it in.

Illori

platinummack

Wiki is still down. Any other links in the meantime?
I added a captcha and 2 security questions now. I just realized I hadn't activated them after my upgrade.

Arantor

platinummack

The link you gave I think was broken when you posted it, so I was redirected to Yahoo. From there I saw the wiki link on this topic in results, clicked on it. Followed the steps actually before I saw it.

Already did all that. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks.

Arantor

You clearly haven't since if you had done *everything* on the list, you would have installed at least one mod by now and you would have mentioned it.

However, now your site is up and I can actually see what it is about, best of luck to you.

Kindred

You need to have GOOD questions. Ones that are not easily answered by bots.

I, personally, use the bad behavior + httpBL  mod, and the stop spammer mod and I have had ZERO spam bots get through in 2 years.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

platinummack

Thanks. I got my answer and I am good for now. I followed the wikis steps. You can close this threat. it is resolved.

Bruce the Shark

Interesting reading
I just learnt something new.
Thanks Kindred for your tip, i'm adding Bad behavior mod to my forum. :laugh:

Advertisement: