help installing something, or other. Possibly.

Started by DJWooDy13, November 26, 2014, 05:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJWooDy13

i have downladed the zip so i can get dziner studio template on my website.

but how do i install smf?

Shambles

Where's the bug you're reporting?

shadow82x

Topic moved as there doesn't appear to be any bug. Please see: Installing SMF
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Arantor

(It's been moved to another category since then)

So, you want to start a forum, right?

1) You need a host. I assume you've got one of these if you're talking about a website.

2) You download the zip to your computer, which you seem to have done.

3) You use Explorer to unzip the zip file so you get hundreds of files on your computer.

4) Using something like FileZilla, you upload those files to your website.

5) Once you've done that you can run SMF's startup script to get the forum running.

6) Once you've done *that*, you can add a theme such as one of the ones from DzinerStudio.

But one step at a time.

kat

Quote from: DJWooDy13 on November 26, 2014, 05:18:29 PM
i have downladed the zip so i can get dziner studio template on my website.

but how do i install smf?

I'm guessing...

Is this your forum?

http://vfl-one.com/smf/index.php?topic=17063.0

Is it the theme you want to install?

If I've just managed to get blood from a stone...

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_do_I_install_a_theme

If not... Wot Arantor sed. :)

DJWooDy13

Quote from: Arantor on November 26, 2014, 05:27:21 PM

1) You need a host. I assume you've got one of these if you're talking about a website.

3) You use Explorer to unzip the zip file so you get hundreds of files on your computer.

5) Once you've done that you can run SMF's startup script to get the forum running.

6) Once you've done *that*, you can add a theme such as one of the ones from DzinerStudio.

But one step at a time.
i installed Filezilla but how to i get the files on the websit with that? and can i still do it of my mate paid for the web host?

shadow82x

Quote from: DJWooDy13 on November 27, 2014, 11:32:14 AM
Quote from: Arantor on November 26, 2014, 05:27:21 PM

But one step at a time.
can i still do it of my mate paid for the web host?
If he gives you access to FTP and MYSQL, sure.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

kat

Er... If you mean "He", rather than "hive"... He can speak to you. He can write to you. He can e-mail you. He can send you smoke-signals. He can try semaphore.

Whichever's easier. ;)

ARG01

I have went over and over with you on this at DzinerStudio. At this point I think your best bet would be to give someone (not publicly) your cPanel login info and have them install SMF for you.

One quick thing to ponder. If you cannot complete a simple software install and cannot comprehend what people tell you or, detailed instructions then maybe operating a forum is not a good idea. Believe it or not, things get even tougher once you install SMF.

Good luck.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

DJWooDy13

On filezilla how do I find the password for the website?

kat

If you have FTP access set up, you'll know the password. If you installed SMF, yourself, you'll've had it, then.

If not, you can set an FTP account up, in your site's CPanel.

DJWooDy13

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

As I said, you can set up an FTP account in your site's CPanel. :)

DJWooDy13

Okay but how would I get the ftpaccount in the cpanel?

kat

Look at the "Files" section, in CPanel. You'll see "FTP". You can create an FTP account, there.

DJWooDy13

Bruce the Shark

Deaks

DJ as you have not been on in over a month I will assume you have managed to do this, so I have marked this as solved if you need help with THIS issue still please let us know what you have tried.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: