News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Removing automated user ban

Started by pixelgeek, November 26, 2014, 08:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelgeek

I have a user that logged in to the forum while he was in Japan and he got banned. He is back and now is getting an error saying that he has been permanently banned.

I certainly didn't do this and there are no other admins. I went through the database and removed the only ban entry with his user id but he still can't log in

Anyone have any idea how this happened and how I can unban him?

Kindred

Smf does not have any auto ban function...   What mods do you have installed?
  What message does the user get?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pixelgeek

The user is getting this message

AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED!
Sorry obsidian3d, you are banned from using this forum!
This ban is not set to expire.

I have the check registration mod installed and no other.

I haven't set a ban for this user so AI am not sure how he is getting banned.

Irisado

Have you banned anyone by IP?  It could be that his IP is being caught by an IP ban set for another user or something like that, thus preventing him from logging in.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

pixelgeek

His current IP isn't. I think he got caught under another IP ban when he was in Japan. He is back at his old IP now though

Kindred

why are you banning any IPs, anyway?   It's a bad idea, in general -- and if you really feel the need, you should ban IPs in your htaccess file, not in SMF ban manager
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pixelgeek

Quote from: Kindred on November 27, 2014, 09:37:08 AM
why are you banning any IPs, anyway?   It's a bad idea, in general -- and if you really feel the need, you should ban IPs in your htaccess file, not in SMF ban manager

That is another issue in and of itself though

Deaks

pixelgeek do you still need help? if so could their be something else triggering the ban such as a mod like project honeypot etc
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: