News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Help making my banner and forum responsive?

Started by platinummack, November 27, 2014, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

platinummack

Can someone tell me how to make my header banner responsive and the rest of the forum?
I know I can use Js or CSS right?

Thanks

Deaks

first few questions ... how much time do you have? how much do you know coding? what SMF version are you running?

answer these and we can tell you better.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

platinummack

I'm not a coder by profession but I get the syntax of CSS and PHP
I am using SMF version 2.0.9
I want to make it responsive.

Gwenwyfar

If you want only one image to just resize through every size, the simplest way is to add it as an actual image inside the logo area (and not a background), then make its width set to 100% and it will auto adjust.

Just use the theme settings area to add an image, then make the width 100% in css.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

platinummack

Actually I want to make the whole forum responsive. so in Samsung S4 or iPhone view it should respond like this.

Banner

Nav buttons vertically down
Home
Search
then the first board category
Introduce yourself
Then the column with replies
Then the last post column

then the footer

Can someone suggest a way to code this in css

Gwenwyfar

Sorry, didn't notice the "forum" part.

To change all those areas you'll need to adjust a lot of minor things. Perhaps take a look into a tutorial on media queries? You can add a link to a stylesheet on your head that only loads once you are on something a bit smaller than a normal monitor, and then use that file for all the queries.

I suggest you look onto how to hide certain things (like for instance total post count) on certain widths, then just go around playing with element's width, sizes and so on, for a more basic thing. You should start working with a large size, fit everything on that, then resize further, fit everything on that, etc.

It might be easier to just find a "responsive" theme and change colors to your liking depending on how much you know about css though, if you go through every page on the whole forum it can be a a lot of work.

platinummack

Yes I think getting a responsive theme would be great. My site is responsive and so should the forum as most people browse the net and do business via e-commerce sites via their smartphones more so than traditional laptops so I want to capitalize on that and not be hindered by it.

platinummack

On second thought all of the responsive themes look like crap. I will forfeit mobile traffic over ugliness.
I think I need to find someone who knows CSS or Twitter bootstrap.
Anyone know this?

Gwenwyfar

Forget twitter bootstrap, its just another one of those lame frameworks, it can't do anything you can't do with a good old hand written code. Just work with media queries or get someone that does.

Deaks

platinummack their are quite a few good free ones out their for SMF also hold tight, 2.1 has responsive layout and while it is not advised to be used on a live forum just yet keep an eye on it as it will hopefully be stable soon.

Fortytwo is right btw dont try to add bootstrap to 2.1 it wont work well.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Bruce the Shark

Unless you know what your doing....
I had my theme already done by someone and it just cost me $50 to get it to be responsive.
He also added some other little feature that i would have needed.
It will save you some head ache.

Advertisement: