News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Disable quote on last message on each topic

Started by sinnerman, November 27, 2014, 07:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinnerman

Hi!

I'm trying to do a little customization with what the title says. I'm running a 2.0.9 SMF forum.
In more details. I want to stop people from quoting the last post in every thread/topic.
So i think that if i just hide or change the behavior of the "quote" button only on the last message i should have achieved my goal.

I know it sounds a little trivial but it's very common in the forum i'm running to see a quote of the right above post which is kind of annoying.

I can probably do everything except one part. How do i isolate the last message on each topic (in php)?
Though if you think you're up to it i won't say no to complete instruction. But i seem to be stuck from the very first step.

Thank you very much for your time and effort.  :)

Antechinus

Quote from: sinnerman on November 27, 2014, 07:43:37 PM
Hi!

I'm trying to do a little customization with what the title says. I'm running a 2.0.9 SMF forum.
In more details. I want to stop people from quoting the last post in every thread/topic.
So i think that if i just hide or change the behavior of the "quote" button only on the last message i should have achieved my goal.

I know it sounds a little trivial but it's very common in the forum i'm running to see a quote of the right above post which is kind of annoying.

I can probably do everything except one part. How do i isolate the last message on each topic (in php)?
Though if you think you're up to it i won't say no to complete instruction. But i seem to be stuck from the very first step.

Thank you very much for your time and effort.  :)

Yeah it is annoying. Drives me bonkers. :D

I did the same thing on a site I used to run. There may already be a mod for it. Have you checked the mod site yet?

If there's no mod available, I'll dig out the code. I have the files somewhere.

Antechinus

Ok, so I looked, and couldn't find a mod. Here's the code. Since I'm posting the code, someone will probably know where a mod is now. You get that. :P

You need to add a bit of custom shenanigans in Sources/Display.php first, otherwise the templates edits won't work.

Find:
if ($smcFunc['db_num_rows']($request) == 0)
fatal_lang_error('not_a_topic', false);
$topicinfo = $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request);
$smcFunc['db_free_result']($request);

Add a line to the end of that lot:
if ($smcFunc['db_num_rows']($request) == 0)
fatal_lang_error('not_a_topic', false);
$topicinfo = $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request);
$smcFunc['db_free_result']($request);
$context['prefix_lastpost'] = $topicinfo['id_last_msg'];

Now you can use the new conditional in your Display.template.php:

// Can they reply? Have they turned on quick reply? Is this not the last post?
if ($context['can_reply'] && ($message['id'] != $context['prefix_lastpost']) && !empty($options['display_quick_reply']))

Etc. :)

kat

Ha! Can we have that installed, here? ;)

Drives me mental, too, that...

kat

Quote from: K@ on November 28, 2014, 08:39:46 AM
Ha! Can we have that installed, here? ;)

Drives me mental, too, that...

Thought I'd do it, before someone else does... ;)

sinnerman

I'm really glad we're not the only forum this happens.
Thank you very much for the almost complete mod..it should be fairly simple from now on..

I ll try it tomorrow cause i'm in a hurry now but i'm sure it will do the trick.
thanks again!

Antechinus

I haven't tested on 2.0.x, but it should work.

sinnerman

worked just fine on 2.0.9!

marked as solved. Thank you very much.

Advertisement: