News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Intergrating to an app - database questions

Started by scotchmonster, November 27, 2014, 09:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotchmonster

Hi all,

We're building an app for our community to use.
We would like them to be able to sign up over the app and to store some info collected from the app in the database.
Does anyone have any feedback on the following please?

1.Which table we can store Forum records?
2.Which table is used for settings like privacy ?
3.Which table is used for profile image?
4.Where we can store location's record of users.
5.Where we can store "Add as friend " record ?

Any help is very much appreciated thank you in advance.

Arantor

1. What kind of records are we talking about?

2. What settings in particular? I can think of several possible options.

3. Possibly in multiple places depending on the profile image used.

4. Location field, smf_members may be suitable. More details required for sure.

5. Probably best for your own table depending on how you intend to use this data.

parveen

Hello am ask question on behalf of scotchmonster

1.Am talking about forum,forum contain topic name and description filed. So i just want to know where i can store this record in database?

2. Setting like privacy, in privacy  we have three option  a.) Everyone  b.)Only Friend  c.) No One ..... Specify this record is store in which table and also specifies the value of these options  example  everyone should 1,Only Friend is 2, No one is 3 .Give me the exact value of it

3.Tell me the table name where you store your profile image? ,i want it everywhere in the application.

4.In smf_members location filed contain name of cities but i will required longitute and latitute of that particular location.

5. Can we create are own table to store add as friend records?

Arantor

1. Still not sure what you're actually talking about. The smf_messages table contains the post's title and content (so the topic's title is the title from the first post in the topic)... I'm not clear on whether you want to reuse this or add something new exactly.

2. Privacy of WHAT? Privacy of topics? (SMF does not have any concept of privacy of topics beyond board access; you cannot indicate that a topic can only be seen by your friends, and implementing this is a massive task)

3. It's stored in two different tables depending on the type of profile image. If using an external avatar it's stored in the members table, ditto for a gallery avatar, if it's uploaded it will have a record in the attachments table and *may* under some circumstances have a record in the members table as well. This is very complicated stuff to deal with and frankly you shouldn't be attempting to handle this stuff yourself when SMF already has code specifically geared to doing this since there is - as far as I know - the grand total of three people that engineered a solution to grab the avatars without using SMF's base code to do it (and all of them have been SMF development team members at some time in the past)

4. There is no functionality for this in SMF, you will have to add columns to store this yourself, smf_members will be fine to do this.

5. Sure you can. Mods add their own tables all the time.

parveen

Thanks for reply,I have another queries

1.In smf_message table or collection id_board field is used for what ? what is meaning of it?
2.Jet Ski Riding,Jet Ski Community Issues and Fundraising Adventures,Jet Ski Racing etc .How was you categorized these options? How these options are linked with smf_message table?How could i  know that that particular topic comes under JestSki Ridng or jet SKi community issue?
3.What type of format is used for store poster_time filed in smf_message?
4.Can i use our own encryption method for password field in smf_memebers  table?

basically describe all tables regrading posts

Kindred

1- Id_board would be the id of the board that the message is associated with

2- I am assuming those are Board names?  If so, then a message is associated to a topic and a topic is associated to a board.

3- all times are Unix timestamp

4- no. You must use SMF's encryption and hash.

Instead of asking questions which prove that you have no actual understanding of the smf system or basic programming in general, why don't you, Instead, spell out exactly what you are trying to accomplish and perhaps we can give you a way to do it within the smf framework.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

scotchmonster

Hi there,

We thought it was a foregone admission that we know absolutely nothing about SMF which is why we were asking questions from the experts who do.

Thank you for all your help anyway.

We were going to get the people who download the app we're building to also become registered to use the forum at the same time.

Kindred

yes, we realize that you don't understand SMF.

Which is why I suggested that you tell us the FINAL OUTCOME that you are trying to accomplish.
and I do not mean a generic "we are trying to link two systems together"...   we realize that.

SPECIFICALLY
-What is your other system intended to do?
- does it already exist or are you writing it form scratch now?
  -- if it already exists, then what system is it?
  -- What is the structure of db data that you are trying to match?

You say "...people who download the app..."
So you are talking about an app that sits on their computer/phone? And you want to link that to a forum account?
Or do you just want people to have a forum account in order to download the app?
  (if the second there is a download manager mod)

Instead of assuming that there is only one way (your preconceived idea) on how to link things -- discuss details of the outcome with us and we might be able to suggest ideas on how to do things that you are overlooking
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: