News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Best Security Improvement

Started by levely, November 27, 2014, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levely

I'm starting a new forum which will be quite controversial and I'm sure it will be a target for hackers. What mods or combination of mods do you recommend for 2.0.9?

Antes

Keeping your forum up-to-date nothing more is needed.

Bigguy

Keeping your server up to date would also be a good idea. Also, there are a few mods out there like forum firewall and a few anti-spam mods that can be installed that may just help. Search the mod site and I am sure you will find a few that may offer you the edge you are looking for.

NanoSector

The most vulnerable item is the server, keep that secure and up to date and you'll be safe for the biggest part.
It's also good practice to keep SMF up to date, though most vulnerabilities are exploited with the servers.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

margarett

Also, keep your administrators educated. The weakest link is the user. If you have a week password or one that you use in multiple sites, you're more likely to be hacked.
All the latest hacked forums that we know happened due to compromised admin accounts ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

also making sure your files are not writable will help. if you have a shared server/hosting and another site gets hacked if your files are not writable then your forum has a lesser chance of getting hacked.

Advertisement: