News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Does anyone know what this means?

Started by Topman, November 28, 2014, 07:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topman

Does anyone know what this means?
"Critical Error!

Cannot find database source script! Please check file Subs-Db-mysql.php is within your forum source directory."

Trying to upgrade from 1.20 to 2.09 versions. I have all the 2.09 files/folders in a new sub folder.
(old forum files in  /forum/SMF)  (new forum files in forum/smf2)

Illori

why are you moving the forum to another folder? have you corrected the paths with repair_settings.php if you are using the old database? why cant you just upgrade the install you have currently if you are using the same database?

What is repair_settings.php?

Topman

OK I "solved" the original question a file was missing.
I then giot a warning and advising me to do exactky what you are suggesting,
upgrading the 1.20 to 2.09.
I have been trying to do it as a new install and I may come across as a bit of an idiot but I have no idea how to do it as a simple update.

If you could give me the links where to look I will do what you suggested - it sounds easier.

Topman

Yes I already found that.
It appeared to me that it was telling me to use ftp to transfer all the files in 2.09 to my forum folder.
Does this automatically overwrite/overide the previous 1.20 files of the same name and then it all works (other than the Mod packages of course)

What I wanted to do was try/test the 2.09 in a separate folder without either disrupting my database or the existing 1.20 which works fine but is now outdated.  Hopefully I could then just rename the destination folder and would be on 2.09.

Herman's Mixen

nope that wont work as the database need to be upgraded as well, when you are in the new folder location that should be ok for your own things... point to the second database if you just want to test it if it works.....

you still need to run the upgrade.php - you cannot switch from 1.2x to 2.x in a step like that.... there is too mutch changed.... database/files wise
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Kindred

well,  you CAN do a test upgrade -- but to do so, you need a completely separate installation (files AND database) of the old system.

In general, the best bet is just to take a backup first -- then do the upgrade.
If it fails, you can restore the backup while your figure out where the failure was.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Topman

I'll think I will do a test pointing to a new database.
Then I can see if I can get it to look like the old theme style CSS and packages before going for the full monty.
I have a back up of the files and database so I hope I am OK
Scary stuff.

Kindred

1.1.x themes will not work on 2.0.x
nor will 1.1.x mods.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: