Simple Question-Blonde moment sorry ;)

Started by CollegeChik, November 28, 2014, 08:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CollegeChik

We are setting up a simple machine forum, and want to allow new users with a specific number of posts posts to post only to one board

kat

In v2, this kinda thing is a bit over-complicated, for me. v1 was much more simple. :)

Have a look at our wiki.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Permissions

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Boards#Permissions

I'm afraid that most of it's written in "Techie", rather than English, though. :(

Basically, you want to set each board's permissions, so that people with certain post-counts/in certain membergroups can see some boards and not others. Maybe it's be best to set up some permission profiles, to help, with that. How to do that IS explained, there. It's all Greek, to me, though. :(

CollegeChik

Thank you I will try and figure it out again from those documents.

kat

If you have membergroups set up to be based on post-counts, you can just set the board permissions, so that members in the NooBs group can't see any boards, except the one(s) that you want them to see.

That's pretty easy, really. Just a bit of a PITA, having to go through each board's permissions, individually, to set them up. :)

CollegeChik

Thanks K!

kat

Ha!

Admin>Boards.

You'll see a list of the boards you have.

To the right of each board name, you'll see "Permissions",

Click that and you'll see a list of membergroups.

Click "Modify", to the right of the group whose permissions you want to mess around with.

You'll figure-out the rest, I'm sure, even if you are blonde. ;)

Quote from: CollegeChik on November 28, 2014, 08:52:44 AMwatch out for us gals ;)

Something I've never got bored of doing, that... ;)

Illori

you need to create a new permission profile first then set the permissions and make sure you have enabled permissions for post count based groups as well. dont forget to assign the profile to the board(s) when you are done.

Kindred

ummm....   no, k@... that is incorrect for 2.0.x

CollegeChik --

go to admin > members> permissions > edit profiles

You have a series of "profiles" pre-defined there.

Create a new one (I suggest either copy from "read only" or copy from "default")
Then edit the new profile
within that profile are listed all membergroups....
if you copied from read only, then go to the groups that you want to HAVE post permissions and add those as ALLOW.
if you copied from default, then go to the groups that you want to REMOVE post permissions and remove those by setting the post permissions to DISALLOW.

then go to admin > members> permissions > board permissions

at the bottom, click "Edit All"
and set the boards that you want to be restricted to use the new profile that you just created.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

CollegeChik

Quote from: Kindred on November 28, 2014, 09:14:12 AM
ummm....   no, k@... that is incorrect for 2.0.x

CollegeChik --

go to admin > members> permissions > edit profiles

You have a series of "profiles" pre-defined there.

Create a new one (I suggest either copy from "read only" or copy from "default")
Then edit the new profile
within that profile are listed all membergroups....
if you copied from read only, then go to the groups that you want to HAVE post permissions and add those as ALLOW.
if you copied from default, then go to the groups that you want to REMOVE post permissions and remove those by setting the post permissions to DISALLOW.

then go to admin > members> permissions > board permissions

at the bottom, click "Edit All"
and set the boards that you want to be restricted to use the new profile that you just created.
Thanks Kindred

Kindred

oh... sorry.

remember -- smf uses an INCLUSIVE permissions set.
If the permission is granted to ANY group that the user belongs to, then that user gets the permission.

So, you would need to set the "general members" group (in the new profile) to unchecked as well...

(side note: allow/dsiallow is visible if you switch to the "classic" permissions display instead of "simple" permissions - but has the same effect.
in simple mode - checked = allow, unchecked = disallow)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on November 28, 2014, 09:33:58 AM
(side note: allow/dsiallow is visible if you switch to the "classic" permissions display instead of "simple" permissions - but has the same effect.

also both simple and classic have A X D options when deny is enabled.

CollegeChik

Quote from: Kindred on November 28, 2014, 09:33:58 AM
oh... sorry.

remember -- smf uses an INCLUSIVE permissions set.
If the permission is granted to ANY group that the user belongs to, then that user gets the permission.

So, you would need to set the "general members" group (in the new profile) to unchecked as well...

Us again :( 
Could not find "general members" group so sent you a PM...

Illori

QuotePlease do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support forums.  Thank you.

you are best to post your questions in the open forum instead of a pm as kindred's sig says.

i believe he means regular members group instead of general members.

CollegeChik

Tried to post this in what we thought WAS the open forum and got chewed out. 

Arantor

Let me explain... posting the same question multiple times is frowned upon because it habitually ends up meaning that people have to go over the same ground again, that's why you got 'chewed out'.

As for sending PMs, it's actually considered quite rude to do so - especially if the person actually has 'please do not send me support PMs' in their signature.

Irisado

You were not 'chewed out', as you put it.  You were politely informed that you can't post the same issue in a new topic :).  Nothing more serious than that.  If you're still having problems with permissions, just keep the discussion within this topic.  If you find yourself having problems with something different in the future, then by all means create a new topic :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

CollegeChik

Quote from: Arantor on November 28, 2014, 11:10:17 AM
Let me explain... posting the same question multiple times is frowned upon because it habitually ends up meaning that people have to go over the same ground again, that's why you got 'chewed out'.

As for sending PMs, it's actually considered quite rude to do so - especially if the person actually has 'please do not send me support PMs' in their signature.
We read this post"
you are best to post your questions in the open forum instead of a pm as kindred's sig says. 
So we figured we made a mistake, tried to find what we thought was the "open forum" and posted the request for help there, heck with this, sorry we ever asked for help

Arantor

Um, you were already posting in the open forum... Kindred was more annoyed that you'd asked him privately for help when he actually asks people not to do that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :(

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on November 28, 2014, 11:33:20 AM
Um, you were already posting in the open forum... Kindred was more annoyed that you'd asked him privately for help when he actually asks people not to do that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :(

i was the one that quoted kindred's sig, assuming kindred got a pm as well as i did. kindred has not gotten back to this thread to reply or say he received a pm or not.

Advertisement: