News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Enabling TLS for use with an SMTP server

Started by MisterVector, November 28, 2014, 04:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterVector

So I've been trying to fix my e-mail system, which is going to use outlook's SMTP server, but the problem is that it requires TLS to use, and I can't find where I can enable that in the admin panel. I'm using SMF 2.0.8.

LiroyvH

iirc, putting tls:// or ssl:// in front of the mail server address (in SMTP settings) should make it work. As long as you also use the correct port, of course.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

MisterVector

I get errors like these in the error log after. The same thing happened for tls:// as well

Could not connect to SMTP host: 0 :

2: fsockopen(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

2: fsockopen(): unable to connect to ssl://smtp-mail.outlook.com:587 (Unknown error)

2: fsockopen(): Failed to enable crypto

Herman's Mixen

Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Colin

Quote from: CoreISP on November 28, 2014, 04:12:03 PM
iirc, putting tls:// or ssl:// in front of the mail server address (in SMTP settings) should make it work. As long as you also use the correct port, of course.

Correct.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

MisterVector

Quote from: Herman's Mixen on November 28, 2014, 06:03:34 PM
try use port 465 instead off 587

2: fsockopen(): unable to connect to tls://smtp-mail.outlook.com:465 (Connection timed out)

LiroyvH

tls:// use port 587 (you tried ssl:// which is indeed 465, but doesn't work with outlook afaik)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

MisterVector

2: fsockopen(): unable to connect to tls://smtp-mail.outlook.com:587 (Unknown error)

I assume you meant ssl:// doesn't work with outlook. Would that apply to TLS as well? I suppose I can try with another e-mail service if this doesn't work.

Herman's Mixen

well other thing can be that the php libraries are maybe not compiled with php openssl for example should be enabled in streaming features/featured in phpinfo don't recall it exactly ..
don't know what outlook actually is using for port, if you say its that port i'm oke with it ...

seen alot of different configurations which been everywhere :D ..
and have seen different configurations and ports on the error you described ... all details for your config in this case is crucial if you want to fix it !!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

MisterVector

Sorry about that! Alright, these are my mail settings:

Mail Type: SMTP
Server: tls://smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 587
Username and password shouldn't matter, I know they're correct!

When I omitted the tls:// in the past, this error message showed up:

530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first

Oddly enough, I just went to my error page and noticed one of the errors for the above address was:

2: fsockopen(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number

Perhaps my SSL isn't up to date with what should be?

Herman's Mixen

i m not talking about that :P

post a phpinfo file wich tell us more how ur server config is

What is a phpinfo() file?

MisterVector

As promised:

http://site.innectis.net/phptest.php

URLs don't show up properly :(

MisterVector

Deaks

alphablend do you still need help with this?  I have marked this as solved for now if you need help please update us with what you have tried since last posting.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: