News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Modal in PM Button

Started by Weskey, December 02, 2014, 06:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weskey

I think it would be interesting if the Private Message button in a topic (), open a Modal, with the form to sending the message, instead of opening a new page.
Thus, it would be faster and more practical to contact other users. For the user would not need to load a new page to send.
In addition to not have to leave the current page.

I make a mockup:

margarett

I am pretty sure that will not happen in a near future. Neither for 2.0 or 2.1 at least... It's not how SMF works, really :(
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Steve

I'm curious as to the why though. Is there a reason this idea wouldn't work with SMF?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Weskey

Quote from: margarett on December 02, 2014, 06:50:57 AM
I am pretty sure that will not happen in a near future. Neither for 2.0 or 2.1 at least... It's not how SMF works, really :(

I do not understand, because it would not work in SMF? It is a suggestion UX. Why not work?

Arantor

For 2.0 it would require rewriting a number of things to even be possible. Amongst them, the editor.

For 2.1, it would require a fraction less work, but the work required is still vastly not worth the actual effort because it requires more changes than you think.

Weskey

I'm sorry but disagree completely.
What may not be worth it to you, you might consider for others.
Today, we have many people accessing the mobile phone, tablet, etc ... Reduce the loading of a page, it is a great go forward.
With this suggestion, people click on the button, open the modal, send message, and return the discussion, without even having to leave the topic page, continuing the discussion.

If the SMF provide any API, or implement some modal library, I can develop this modal, and make a PullRequest.

Need not be a modal, all prepared, full of options, is something for a quick contact.
The IPB has implemented a simpler version and got interesting.

I'm not saying that because another implemented, so we have to implement here too, but it's a nice feature and improves usability, and today, with users doing multiple things at the same time. Breaking these barriers is interesting.

Kindred

sure, it's nice...   but it is a fair amount of work -- we are in beta now and only looking at a few additional features, almost all effort is going into patching reported issues with the beta -- and this is not one of the things we are considering.

If you'd like to submit a pull request - feel free...   we make no promises that it would be merged... but we'll look at it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

That's the problem here @Weskey, we are in beta and if we keep adding new features we'll never release the final product to the public. Its a good feature, i'd love to see it in SMF but maybe in 3.0 :/

margarett

There is actually a MOD that does pretty much that, except it doesn't load it directly in a popup, instead it opens the "general" PM page.
http://www.smfsimple.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;download=90
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Weskey

I took the trunk SMF 2.1, and started to test the implementation.

The form already works perfectly, and when it appears in the form of Modal, only the main functions are displayed. Not taking up too much space in modal.

By clicking the Send button, it redirects to the page of "Your message has Been sent successfully.". But I'm trying to do the ajax implementation so that this message appears on the Modal, and soon after that it is closed.

Arantor

It already doesn't work 'perfectly'. I observe two bugs. And implementing what you're suggesting will add more.

Advertisement: