Move ONE topic from phpbb to smf

Started by chelseaphil, December 03, 2014, 05:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chelseaphil

Is it possible to move one topic from a phpbb forum to smf. I accidentally deleted a thread on my smf forum but have an older back up on phpbb that I can use. I am checking the server at the moment to see if there is a rescent SQL backup. But if anyone can come back with a reply it would be great, thanks.

kat

chelseaphil

No such luck. I was editing a category with several threads in it and deleted the wrong one my mistake. I had made a back up of the forum a couple of months ago when messing with phpbb. If I could transfer the thread on there as a single thread back to SMF I would get out of a hole :)

kat

Bugger. SMF Database backup, that you could extract the thread from?

I think it'll depend on whether the topic ID has already been taken over by a new thread. Not sure about that, though. :(

No easy task to just copy/paste the posts from the phpbb board, I s'pose?

margarett

Do you have a database backup from SMF that still has that topic? It's much easier to do it from a SMF database backup than from phpBB...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

Quote from: K@ on December 03, 2014, 06:24:01 AM

I think it'll depend on whether the topic ID has already been taken over by a new thread. Not sure about that, though. :(

each topic id is unique and not reused. it may be possible to find the info in the old database, it may be harder to restore it to the current database.

have you asked your host if they have a recent backup they can restore?

chelseaphil

Quote from: Illori on December 03, 2014, 06:30:31 AM
Quote from: K@ on December 03, 2014, 06:24:01 AM

each topic id is unique and not reused. it may be possible to find the info in the old database, it may be harder to restore it to the current database.

have you asked your host if they have a recent backup they can restore?

I am talking with them now. I am on a VPN server and it appears that backup / restore function has not been doing what it should and only backing up certain websites. Guess what? Not this one. The host used their access to the restore and it went all the way back to June!!

chelseaphil

Host company has managed to locate a backup from end of September so they will use that. Thanks for the replies though guys.

margarett

But you will loose all content from September up to now...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

chelseaphil

Quote from: margarett on December 03, 2014, 08:50:11 AM
But you will loose all content from September up to now...

That's the only trouble. But no real alternative. At least it has highlighted the problem on the server concerning backups and if this happens again then at least a recent backup will be available. Annoying because it is a busy forum with over 35,000 pages loaded daily.

Night09

Back up what you have now BEFORE the restore then you have the new posts saved in the new backup to restore.

margarett

I don't understand. You prefer to loose 2 months of content over a single topic?
Do note: it is possible to restore that topic from the backup you now have as live...

Arantor

I still don't understand what the problem is with going to the backup and copy/pasting the posts out of it.

Night09

Quote from: Arantor on December 03, 2014, 12:44:42 PM
I still don't understand what the problem is with going to the backup and copy/pasting the posts out of it.

Can that be done from phpbb to smf?  Wont the DB structure be different?

Arantor

Sure, but you copy/paste the post content... well, I would :P

Night09

Quote from: Arantor on December 03, 2014, 12:51:25 PM
Sure, but you copy/paste the post content... well, I would :P

Yeah I guess so! ;)

chelseaphil

OK, here is where I am at now. The host tech guys have used a two month old backup. That's fine but.... In doing so there are a whole host of errors appearing. The latest one is this:
Call to undefined function show_topofpageAds() in /home/arbo/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(1733) : eval()'d code on line 214

All I get is the coloured background of the page, an advert banner and the error message. I cannot get in admin or anywhere else on the site. HELPPPP

margarett

Did you (or them) took a database backup before they restore that old backup?

Illori

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

this might be a good time to consider upgrading to 2.0 as well.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

which you can do instead of uploading fresh files.

Advertisement: