News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to test SMTP settings in SMF 2.09

Started by SlyBaldGuy, December 08, 2014, 03:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlyBaldGuy

I recently signed up with MandrillApp to use SMTP for other applications and I figured I'd setup my forum to use it as well.  Though, when I enter all the required information under MAIL my forum no longer sends mail without providing any errors.

How can I test my SMTP connection to see if it works or to get proper errors?

Chas Large

Try prefacing your mail server name with ssl:// like

ssl://mail.mydomain.com

Make sure you use the correct port, usually 465.

Make sure you enable the mail queue, so you can see how much mail is backed up and then gives you the ability to send.

Check with your mail server provider how many mails they permit you to send per hour, some restrict this heavily to prevent spamming, I set mine to:

Maximum emails to send per minute = 8
Maximum amount of emails to send per page load = 6

Which seems a good balance for my forum.

When set, send yourself a PM and you should get a notification and see it process through the queue.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

SlyBaldGuy

I've tried that, but it's not working.  Are you using MandrillApp?  When I enable the queue it just keeps growing when SMTP is applied.

Host smtp.mandrillapp.com
Port 587

SlyBaldGuy

When I enabled logs I'm getting the following error:

2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to smtp.mandrillapp.com:587 (Connection timed out)

One of the things with MandrillApp is that the passwords are API keys which are very long  like this sample password FRT2a1r8pPLYP8D7AKZn4g 

Is there a limit to the password length?

margarett

I found this
https://mandrill.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205582217-How-to-Send-Mandrill-Email-with-Popular-CMS-Providers

So you should be able to use ssl://smtp.mandrillapp.com port 465

I had lots of problems to configure an external SMTP server in a forum some months ago, as the firewall didn't allow some ports to be used...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SlyBaldGuy

Quote from: margarett on February 08, 2016, 12:13:13 PM
I found this
https://mandrill.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205582217-How-to-Send-Mandrill-Email-with-Popular-CMS-Providers

So you should be able to use ssl://smtp.mandrillapp.com port 465

I had lots of problems to configure an external SMTP server in a forum some months ago, as the firewall didn't allow some ports to be used...

Thanks for the link.  I've tried all different ports and such and I just get the following errors.

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member Tyler
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address 99.92.90.152   
   Reverse chronological order of list Today at 10:47:24 AM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 8e5f614224f50951d6a6280857e3320a
Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: General
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttp://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?action=reporttm;topic=25169.0Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same messageCould not connect to SMTP host: 110 : Connection timed out
   Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member Tyler
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address 99.92.90.152   
   Reverse chronological order of list Today at 10:47:24 AM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 8e5f614224f50951d6a6280857e3320a
Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: General
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttp://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?action=reporttm;topic=25169.0Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to smtp.mandrillapp.com:465 (Connection timed out)Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/content/s/l/y/slybguy/html/smf/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1325

margarett

Check with your host if you are allowed to use these ports at all.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: