Email notification

Started by karenpotesta, December 08, 2014, 06:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karenpotesta

Hello
I have a forum powered by SMF 1.1, I am having trouble getting email notifications when there is a new post on the forum.  I am not that tech savvy so I read through the reasons why in the help section but still am not clear how to solve.

Can someone please help.
Karen

Kindred

What specific sub version of smf 1.1?

Do you get notifications of new users?  Do you get notifications of new pms?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

karenpotesta

Arantor

New personal/private messages...

karenpotesta

Yes I do get notifications of new users sign up and needs approval to join the forum and also I believe I get new pms as well.

Arantor

...so you get emails for those new PMs? That's the question here. We're trying to figure out if *all* email is broken or only specific ones.

karenpotesta

Sorry I am not that savy. I do get emails for notifications of new users. And the other questions is do I receive personal / private messages on the forum?

Arantor

No... the question is, if you receive personal/private messages on the forum, do you get an email telling you that you received one?

But if you're getting emails for notifications of new users, that sounds like emails in general are working...

Kindred

Are you using godaddy by any chance?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

karenpotesta

My email is through AOL not Go Daddy. We don't use private messaging that much on our forum but I tried to have someone do a test. They sent me a message from the my message tab on the forum and I did not get a notification. Any further guidance is appreciated.

Kindred

ah...  wait...

your email is through AOL?   Who is your HOST?

Basically, the system email setting in SMF is expected to be the SAME DOMAIN as the site...

so - if your site is myforum.com, the system email is expected to be [email protected]

if it is not...   then mail failures can happen.

Are you using phpmail or smtp?
Слaва
Украинi

karenpotesta

I see, our website is hosted through Go Daddy, but I don't believe the email is set up through Go Daddy.

How do I know if it is phpmail or smtp?

Kindred

oh...   your website is on GoDaddy?   That may actually be part of the problem as well.

I help with another site on GoDaddy that has the same sort of issues...

Admin notifications of new users get sent.
Moderator notifications (reported posts, reported PMs) get sent.
notifications of new posts and PM notifications do not get sent...

I have been beating the system over the head trying to figure out why...
And it's only on the goDaddy site that this happens (for me)

as for how you know what system you are using...    hmmm... not sure how to check on 1.1.x (I haven't actively used 1.1.x in 5 years)
looks like it's under server settings
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF1.1:Server_settings

Слaва
Украинi

karenpotesta

Thanks for this info, we did get notifications via email if we started a post and someone responded but now it doesn't work. Would something have changed?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

karenpotesta

I have confirmed that we did receive email notifications in previous years and we were using GoDaddy at that time as well.  Is there anything else it could be besides Go Daddy.  Just to confirm our website is hosted through GoDaddy, my email is through AOL but we might have an info@ account that links from Go Daddy to AOL.

Let me know

Kindred

yes... godaddy changed something at some point in the past 6 months.
Слaва
Украинi

karenpotesta

So you don't think it is something that can be fixed at this point?

Kindred

I have not been able to do so, for several months of trying.
Слaва
Украинi

karenpotesta

We are moving our web hosting to a Weebly site but our domain name will still be with GoDaddy, will this help the situation with the email notifications?

karenpotesta

We are moving our web hosting to a Weebly site but our domain name will still be with GoDaddy, will this help the situation with the email notifications?

kat

With Godaddy? Probably not. :(

Kindred

Actually yes...   if you move hosts, the new host will be the one running the email services.  Using GoDaddy for the domain registrar should have no effect on the site, if you have the hosting with another company
Слaва
Украинi

kat

Doh! Misread that. Well spotted, that man!

mosravo

in your Core Configuration options what is the email address for your     Webmaster Email Address?

Advertisement: