News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[FREE] Custom title based on membergroup

Started by sarahwhite42, December 10, 2014, 10:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarahwhite42

Version 2.0.9

Description We would like to add a custom title based on membergroup that automatically shows up when the membergroup is assigned.  This needs to allow BBCode in it.  We like the Secondary Custom Title mod but right now are having to modify each member individually which takes a lot of time.  Is there a way to have the same effect but set it up to automatically assign the title based on membergroup?  We are using pictures that are not uploaded to our site and instead linked from tinypic which is why it needs to allow BBCode.  And the pics are too large to replace the star images (I tried that).  Any help would be appreciated

Permissions Admin Only

Feature Set
A special title based on membergroup and automatically assigned that allows BBCode

Kindred

be more specific what you mean by "a special title based on membergroup"

The primary membergroup name and badge is displayed...
the post-count membergroup name/badge can be displayed (or not)
There is a mod to display the secondary membergroup badges.

Are you trying to request an ADDITIONAL title?

user is in "Navy" membergroup - display post-count title (based on post-count+primary group) "seaman first class", "petty officer" "cpo", "Admiral"
user is in "Army" membergroup - display post-count title (based on post-count+primary group) "private first class", "sergeant" "master sergeant", "General"
etc

if so, it's been requested before and shot down as over-complicated to be done.

if you mean something else... then please explain in more detail - what you mean and the logic behind it.

and no...   putting BBcode into membergroups is a BAD idea, in general and in specific.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sarahwhite42

User is in group "Vampire" (assigned membergroup not post based) - display picture ""
does that help?

Arantor

Or you could upload the image to your site and use the membergroup images like the team badges here.

sarahwhite42

i don't know how badges work and we can't upload images to our server (long story).  If it's not possible to make the mod we can continue manually adding them using the mod i posted in the OP, but I was hoping there was something a bit easier

Arantor

If you can't upload images to your server, it seems doubtful you'd be able to upload such a modification to your server either.

I'd suggest getting your server sorted out, then we can talk about using what features SMF has out of the box for this purpose rather than abusing things that are not.

Kindred

seriously...  you should not be running a forum if you can't access the server. :(

Based on your explanation - Arantor is completely correct.
No need for any mod.
assign the image as the "stars" image for each membergroup (count of 1)
and ta-da...   as long as the member is assigned to that membergroup as a primary membergroup, the image displays
Like mine "Project Manager" or Arantor's "SMF Friend"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sarahwhite42

i already tried replacing the star images and that didn't work.  i suppose this is an impossible mod to get.  thanks for helping

Arantor

Kindred

What are you replacing the star image WITH?

You can only use a filename in that location... not a URL and not BBC code
Слaва
Украинi

sarahwhite42

no can't do uploads unless i want to reupload the whole theme.

used images i uploaded in a theme.  they did not work

Arantor

Kindred

Also... "Did not work" is not a descriptive explanation...

HOW did they "not work".
Did they not show up? We're they smaller than you wanted? Did it show a broken image? We're you unable to use them at all?
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

@ Sarah ... the guys really are trying to help you. The more they know, the easier it is for them to give you the best solution possible. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: