News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Manual Upgrade Questions 2.0.7 -> 2.0.9

Started by andrea2014, December 11, 2014, 09:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrea2014

Dear Support,

I have to do my first upgrade of smf 2.0.7 to 2.0.9 and I am not sure what is the best way.
Automatic upgrade using administration area seems to be comfortable but I would prefer to do it manually.

Are the changes listet for the upgrade steps the only file changes or may there be any new additional files?
http://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/index.php?action=upgrade;file=smf_patch_2.0.8.zip;smf_version=2.0.7
http://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/index.php?action=upgrade;file=smf_patch_1.1.20_2.0.9.zip;smf_version=2.0.8

If the only difference is changes of the files listed in above descriptions, I wonder if I could simply replace only these special files with the corresponding new 2.0.9 version files from the large 2.0.9 Upgrade (smf_2-0-9_upgrade) and 2.0.9 German language files. My forum has only few manual modifications - just German language and some little design changes. All the files listed are the original ones and may be replaced without any effect to my modifications.
If I copy upgrade.php and the .sql-files from the smf_2-0-9_upgrade into the smf directory and try to run upgrade.php, will this work or will I get problems?

I also thought about saving the few files I changed, then copying the full smf_2-0-9_upgrade and overwriting my old files and thereafter copying back my modified files, but this would take much longer.
My internet is not very fast and sometimes connection gets lost, so I may not be sure if all files get copied and replaced as I want it to.

Another question is the settings.php: Is this the only place referencing the Mysql-database?
Means, can I set up a testsystem by importing a dump of my productive database in a new database and then copying the smf-directory and modifying the settings.php of the copied directory for connection to the new database?
Do I need to change anything else but these vars (or any other file) ?: $boardurl, $db_name, $db_user, $db_passwd, $boarddir, $sourcedir, $cachedir

Please help! I don't know what to do...
Many thanks in anticipation!

Best Regards

Andrea

Kindred

Basically, you have the method completely wrong.
There should not be any need for your to manually do anything, change anything or run anything except the patches in the package manager, just like any other mod.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Patching

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

andrea2014

Hi Kindred,

many thanks for answering! Ok, then I'll test it like you propose.
Can I set up a test system the way I described?

Thank you!

Best Regards

Andrea

Kindred

Should be no need for a test system with the patches...

take a backup
install the 2.0.8 patch
confirm installation was complete
backup
install the 2.0.9 patch
confirm
done

If it fails at any point - you can restore the backup
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: