If topic is locked and you're the thread starter, override permission and...

Started by Biology Forums, December 12, 2014, 09:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Hello all,

How can I create this argument in display.php (for thread display)?

If topic is locked and you're the thread starter --> override posting permissions and allow topic starter to post in his/her thread.

Arantor

You can't just do it there, you have to modify it in at least two places if not more.

Bonus points: there are two *different* types of lock involved...

Biology Forums

Thanks, Arantor. I will look into it further. Before I implement anything, I look at the pros and cons, and so far neither side out-weighs the other.

Arantor

Other than the complexity of fixing quick moderation, fixing regular moderation, dealing with both user and moderator locks.

This is not a trivial task to accomplish at least to do correctly. Is it a regular situation that users actually need to be able to post in their topics when they are locked and not themselves moderators? Surely, topics get locked for a reason?

Biology Forums

Well, I currently have it configured so that when a topic is marked as "Solved", it gets locked automatically. Unfortunately, some new users will mark the topic as solved first, and then want to post a final remark, but might find themselves "locked out".

Arantor

Presumably that suggests either you need to educate your users, or not have it automatically locking once solved.

Even StackExchange doesn't do that.

Arantor

How about NOT locking topics when they're marked solved? Your biggest rivals don't, there is a reason for this.

Advertisement: