News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Registration Failures

Started by Suriya-DsR, December 16, 2014, 05:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suriya-DsR

My members and potential members have been reporting an inability to register accounts on the forum. They are receiving an error. This isn't a one time occurrence, but it seems to happen a lot. I have been having to manually register accounts.

I tried to duplicate the error, but it isn't happening to anyone who has an Admin/Mod account. I welcome the community's input. :) Thank you in advance.

*Edit* The website is www.dragonsriseau.com [nofollow] - forgot to add it.

Burke ♞ Knight

As your forum is 2.0.9, why did you post in the 2.1 support board?

Did they say where it stopped them from registering?
Can they access the register agreement page?
The signup form after that?
Does it give white page after they submit?

Also, if you have a Mod/Admin account that you are logged into, just how do you expect to duplicate the issue? You can't be logged in and register via normal way at same time.

We need more info to help.

Kindred

and, most importantly... WHAT IS THE ERROR MESSAGE?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Suriya-DsR

@Burke Knight – I assumed this was the correct forum, as these are my first posts here forgive me if I was incorrect.

Did they say where it stopped them from registering?
The error comes after they enter their information and click to submit their account.

Can they access the register agreement page? / The signup form after that?
That being said, yes. They can reach the page where they agree to the forum terms.

Does it give white page after they submit?
They never mentioned a white page, they mentioned an error page.

As for the Mod/Admin issue – I have had multiple people try to register who are not linked to any such account, and the same result. I am, also, capable of logging out of said account to attempt my own registration and my Test account was successful.

@Kindred – Had I been able to replicate the issue, you would have had an error message. As it is, none of the people reporting the issue are available to tell me exactly what they saw on the Error page.

Illori

anything in the error log in the admin panel? do you have botscout/bot buster mod installed? if so uninstall it.

Black Tiger

Hmmz... just registered at your site for testing, did not see any error messages, only this default notice:
QuoteThank you for registering. You will receive an email soon with a link to activate your account. If you don't receive an email after some time, check your spam folder.
However, no email is send to me. You can delete my account again if you want.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Night09

Ive registered on your forum as night and it allowed me to register properly so you can simply delete that one.

The error may be the following as its the only one I can produce is to type the captcha letters or question wrong and the usual response should be a red box at the top telling you what the errors are. The actual error occurs to me if repeated a few times is simply 'An Error Has Occurred!' and the option to go back with no explanation of the error itself.

Other than that I cant see any other error in registration. User error maybe ?

Suriya-DsR

Oh man... I did have Bot Buster installed. Is that what would do it? One of my fellow Admin must have installed it and not let me know.

Also, neither of you will show on the site unless you activate your account - so there is nothing to delete ^^

Black Tiger

Captcha is indeed very difficult at least for my eyes, I had to change it several times to get a readable one. :)
Botbuster is causes more troubles, you can better remove that.

Tip: Secure your DNS server and fix the MX reverse (and soa record if possibl).

Yes you can delete the accounts, their in the list with the waiting activation.:)
Greetings, Black Tiger

Night09

Quote from: DragonsRiseWeyr on December 16, 2014, 06:46:53 PM
Oh man... I did have Bot Buster installed. Is that what would do it? One of my fellow Admin must have installed it and not let me know.

Also, neither of you will show on the site unless you activate your account - so there is nothing to delete ^^

Admin > Members > Member > View all members > Awaiting Activation unless your templates are changed.

Suriya-DsR

I found them, a long with a couple others that I had meant to delete :)

Illori

Quote from: DragonsRiseWeyr on December 16, 2014, 06:46:53 PM

yes it is known for causing this issue.

Suriya-DsR

Thank you very much everyone. If it persists I'll revisit this, but since Bot Buster is gone and it's known for the issue I'll go ahead and close this as resolved. I very much appreciate everyone's time and assistance.

Advertisement: