Mod to change a user's status.

Started by Black Tiger, December 16, 2014, 08:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Tiger

It would be nice if this could be made free, however, I'm also willing to pay a small fee.

My SMF version is 2.09.
There is no similar mod I know of. I learned from Arantor that users have statuses like this in SMF:
0 for pending approval of email
1 for normal account
2 for reactivating email
3 for admin approval
4 for pending deletion
5 for pending COPPA

What I'm trying to achieve is to give users with nonactive email addresses status 2 again, so they are required to have a working email address.
This can't be done from within SMF so I was wondering if it was able to be done via a mod, that's why I request it.

If it's possible to make such thing, permissions are not needed, only admins should be able to do this via the admin panel.

No big graphic things or features needed. It would already be nice if admin could select a user and them somewhere select an option like "set to status 2" or "email reactivation status".
Greetings, Black Tiger

Arantor

Um... no... setting them to status 2 means they are locked out of their account and not able to change the email address.

Black Tiger

Hmmz.... and status 0 means there could be a stats problem on their accounts.
That's the reason I like it better when there is made use of a usergroup instead of a status.

So in fact there is no way, even not with a mod, to force users to change their email address to a working one?
Greetings, Black Tiger

Arantor

Not without a much larger change than you're hoping for, though I thought I'd already made that clear :(

Kindred

Doing that would require some changes to the smf design, but overall, not incredibly difficult.

What I foresee being the major issue is -- how do you plan to check if a user's email us good or bad?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Black Tiger

@Arantor: Oh sorry, no that was not fully clear to me, I had the impression it could be done but not that easy. So I thought maybe via a mod.

@Kindred: Well the checking part is easy. If a user's email does not work anymore, we get email back via mailer-daemon on birthday and notification emails.
Only pity that there is option to require a birthdate to be filled in. But I thought there's a mod for that too. So at least once a year on the birthday message, you will know if the email address is working.:)
Unfortunately on conversion from SMF none of the birthdates are converted, so I have to think of a solution for that one.
Maybe it's a nice feature suggesion that admins can set more options which would be required at registration? There is mod for that I know.

The whole thing is that somehow it's pity that there's something like email validation and even a check that an email address is filled in if a users wants to change his profile, but there is no way to keep a valid email address required. So what's the use then? Only for spam?
There are 10 minute email addresses which can be used for verification purposes. In our case we blocked most of those.:)

But is no use, if users can't change their email address if they are in status 0 or 2.
As Arantor told me, in status 2 they can't change their email because they are blocked. And in 0 there will be stats problems.

I just wonder if a user fills in a fake email address on registration, can he change it at that point to put in a valid one or does he has to create a complete new account?
Greetings, Black Tiger

Arantor

QuoteBut is no use, if users can't change their email address if they are in status 0 or 2.
As Arantor told me, in status 2 they can't change their email because they are blocked. And in 0 there will be stats problems.

No, they will not be able to change their email in either state, and it's only if you start moving users between states that stats become an issue.

Kindred

So, in addition to everything else, you need to add something into your SMF installation to read and parse incoming email responses...    which does not exist currently.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I thought he was saying about doing that part manually.

Black Tiger

Correct Arantor.
I don't need anything that reads and parses incoming messages, that part is catched by mailer-daemon of the remote mail server which sends undeliverable mails back to my admin emil address (the originating email address). So that has nothing to do with the forum.

I was only looking for a possibility to move users manually to some status which blocks them and requires them to give a valid email adres to be part of the forum again, just as with a new user registering.

However, as I understand now this is not possible in SMF, and/or would cause issues I will think of another solution.

One last question:
Quotethey will not be able to change their email in either state
Tha'ts odd??? So if a new user is registering, and has in fact status 0, has made a typo in his email address during registration and can't be verified (because he won't get the verfication email), he can't change his email address and has to register a new account with another username?
Is that correct?
Greetings, Black Tiger

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

That's correct.

There is theoretically code buried in the activation subsystem to cope with this but it's never exposed to the user properly.

Black Tiger

That's a pity.

But if the code is present, maybe it might be a nice feature suggestion to expose it to the user?
The the user can correct his typo afterwards, or change his email address when he put in a fake one and regrets it because it won't work.
Or now, if you have a registered user who wants to change his email address and makes a mistake, he has a problem which he can't fix anymore by himself.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Arantor

Black Tiger

That's why I wanted to make it a feature suggestion to improve SMF, not request a mod for it. ;)

I'll make a seperate kind of guest or read-only usergroup for my request and do it manually. Then make a seperate board which is only accessible for those users, to inform them to pm me after they changed their email. That will fix it too.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Black Tiger

Reopened this one. A status 0 or 2 user -can- fix his email address by default.;)
Now only looking for a way to put a user in status 2.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Advertisement: