News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

subscriptions by calendar year?

Started by terminus, December 16, 2014, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminus

Is it possible to have paid subscriptions in SMF based on a calendar year rather than 365 days from join date?  In other words, if a person joins on March 15, 2015, the subscription would end on January 1, 2016.  Is this possible with SMF, and if not do you have any suggestions which forum software would support this functionality? 

I ask because I am putting together a site for a client that wants a calendar year based paid subscription, not one based on 365 days.

Arantor

You can have it set up to do one year from purchase but doing what you want is not directly doable in SMF (at least not automated)

I don't know of any software that does it out of the box either, it would likely have to be done as custom work if you wanted it that badly.

Kindred

Actually, I am not certain if that is even legal...
if someone signed up on Dec 15, you would charge them the same for 16 days as for the person who signed up on Jan 2 and got 364 days?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vbgamer45

It should probably be prorated for the end users if you wanted to do something like that.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

Should be fairly simple to set an end-of-year end date, but pro rating the subscription cost, not so simple.  Will take a look if that's what you want.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

You know you can do variable price subscriptions, right?

Sir Osis of Liver

Yes, haven't worked with it, but possibly could be modded to do end-of-year pro rate.  There's also another way to do it, based on a hack I did for a forum a while back that lets subscriber choose any donation amount.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Because abusing the paid subscriptions system to handle receiving donations is better than using a donations mod to do it?

Sir Osis of Liver

Not really abusing it, even by my liberal standards.  IIRC, just one line of code, and some cosmetic stuff.  Not a big fan of mods.  Many of the trashed forums I've worked on got that way because of poorly designed or badly installed mods.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Hmmm, variable subscription doesn't seem to work in 2.0.9.  If one is set up, paid subs link in profile goes to -

Sorry, the admin has not yet finished setting up paid subscriptions. Please check back later.

Can't get to any subs.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

terminus

Quote from: Arantor on December 17, 2014, 12:27:10 PM
You know you can do variable price subscriptions, right?

I was not aware of this.  How do they work?  The subscription options in SMF didn't make it look obvious however it is done.

Arantor

I wasn't actually answering your question, but the one just above where I replied, where you can set different prices for different durations, seeing how I answered *your* question in the first reply (to which *that* answer is 'not in SMF')

Sir Osis of Liver

It's in Add/Modify subscription.  'Subscription price varies on duration ordered' drops a description and cost options.

*It doesn't work.*

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

n/m, it's a $gateways error.  I had deleted the PayPal email address while cleaning up after chasing a different problem.  Works fine in 2.0.9 and 2.1.  Gives subscriber a drop menu to select cost option.

Don't think it does what op wants.  Would be easier to modify the variable donation hack to prorate a subscription to end of year.

- R. Waters

terminus

Thanks everyone for your help.
Good bunch of people here.

Advertisement: