News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Please Help! Spammers!

Started by inaterr, December 18, 2014, 12:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inaterr

Please help! I'm an admin on my SMF 2.0.5 site (offroadalliance.com - check it out!) and I'm having an overload of "members" trying to join my site and its like 5 every hour! What is a mod or something that you've used to stop them! Is there some sort of IP checker or something because there not on a private IP and its not the same IP for each one. Just need to install a mod to figure it out! Thanks!

Arantor

inaterr

I have everyone in play with questions and extreme Captcha...

tjbalon

Hi there, just a suggestion but I've found Anti Spam: KeyCAPTCHA has helped my forum tremendously in preventing spam-accounts from registering.

I installed it nearly a week ago, and we've received only legitimate registrations since. (Plus it comes with a super-fun/user-friendly puzzle.)

Steve

Does no one do a search or even look at the topic list anymore? There's been a few dozen threads about this problem over the last few days, any one of which would have answered these questions. ;)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

I have *NO* CAPTCHA at all....  and, once I replaced my questions, all was good again.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ronald_1938

Quote from: inaterr on December 18, 2014, 12:04:46 AM
Please help! I'm an admin on my SMF 2.0.5 site (offroadalliance.com - check it out!) and I'm having an overload of "members" trying to join my site and its like 5 every hour! What is a mod or something that you've used to stop them! Is there some sort of IP checker or something because there not on a private IP and its not the same IP for each one. Just need to install a mod to figure it out! Thanks!

Open an account with Stop Spam Forum:  http://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/

Install Stop Spammer mod:  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1547

Go to stop spam form and register and get a 'key' once you have the key put the key in the proper place on the page..

Use some good questions, this will also help stop the spammers

Deaks

inaterr, I have marked this as solved as you have not responded in almost a month and I have assumed this is now sorted if this is wrong please update us to what you have tried since :)

Also I would advise if you have not already upgrading to 2.0.9 :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: