News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Bug or something else? Banned members able to post.

Started by katinka7, December 18, 2014, 05:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katinka7

I'm on SMF 2.0.9 - just updated everything that SMF tells me to. However, I find that our banned members list isn't working. People who are banned are still able to post. This makes sense, as the lists of banned members don't correspond.

We have a lot of banned members listed here: hxxp:www.boeddhaforum.nl/index.php?action=moderate;area=modlog [nonactive]
But only one (from 2009) listed here: hxxp:www.boeddhaforum.nl/index.php?action=moderate;area=viewgroups;sa=members;group=17 [nonactive] and since this is where I can actually edit permissions, I'm not able to deal with the ones on the general list at all.

(Assuming the URLs help, even if you can't access it).

katinka7

To elaborate: they have newby permissions instead of banned member permissions, which means (in our case) they can only post something that requires approval.

margarett

Do you have postcount-based membrgroups permissions activated?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

and I will note...    "banned members" means something specific.

It has nothing to do with moderation of membergroups.
Banned members means that that user record (by email, host, IP and/or username) has been BANNED, using the BAN system.
This can be set to permanent or timed

Moderated to 100% "can not post" is a different scenario and (depending on your moderation settings) MAY expire over time

putting the users into a restricted membergroup is something that would have to be MANUALLY done --  and still respects SMF standard permissions rules.
This means that permissions are INCLUSIVE. A member has the most permissive set of permissions from ALL membergroups that he/she belongs to. If ONE membergroup gives a permission (set to allow), then the user has that permission, regardless of what any other membergroup may disallow.

The exception to this is the DENY option.

If you turn on the ability to use DENY, then you could set your restricted group by DENYing those users permission... which makes the deny EXCLUSIVE (meaning that it now ignored what any other membergroup may allow, period)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: