News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Mobile login issues

Started by BYUFanatic, December 19, 2014, 05:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BYUFanatic

Hi!

Just installed 2.1 on my server last night (long time SMF user). A couple of times when logging in via mobile, I and others have gotten an error. (See attachments.) Just a box that pops up with "error" in it.

In addition, when logging in, the login fields that are way over on the right on the desktop do not show up on the mobile device. Only way to login is to click on the word login in the sentence at the top. (See attachments.) Shouldn't this be with the other options in the middle of the screen?

And finally, when the login box pops up, only half of it shows up on the screen. (See attachments.)

Arantor

To the question about login being part of the menu, no, this was deliberately changed in 2.1, but the rest is definitely not right.

BYUFanatic

Ok, I can understand that it was designed to be in the upper right corner, but that only shows up on the desktop, not on mobile.

So, all three things are definitely issues.

BYUFanatic

So is this a themes issue or an issue within SMF itself?

Arantor

Quote from: BYUFanatic on December 19, 2014, 05:41:02 PM
Ok, I can understand that it was designed to be in the upper right corner, but that only shows up on the desktop, not on mobile.

So, all three things are definitely issues.

I put the login link in the upper left corner along with the new profile menu... If it is in the upper right, that's definitely an issue.

BYUFanatic

I agree.

I'm very new to the concept of responsive themes relating to mobile devices, so forgive my ignorance. But it seems that perhaps part of the theme  - mainly the area at the top where the login fields are and the pop-up boxes are not responsive-aware. A coding issue in creating the theme perhaps?

Arantor

The responsive code is more recent than the login form code.

BYUFanatic

Ok...

Then what should be done at this point to fix all the issues?

- The non-descriptive error that sometimes pops up when logging in from mobile device.

- responsive issue for pop-up boxes and for top menu bar

Arantor

The devs need to investigate and fix it... 2.1 is still beta, after all, bugs are expected.

BYUFanatic

Lol. True, it is in development.

Where do I report a bug?

BYUFanatic

Do you have the ability to move it to the bug reports board?

BYUFanatic

Oh, and out of curiosity, two things -

Can SMF be downgraded? from 2.1 to 2.09? Or do I have to do a re-install?

How well does 2.09 work with responsive? Other than those issues I've pointed out. Most things seem to be working ok in 2.1 for me. I'd like to keep it there, but if 2.09 works very well with responsive an I can downgrade from 2.09 to 2.1 without a re-install, that might be a wiser choice for now....

Antes

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=530233.msg3764642#msg3764642
QuoteThe general installation and upgrading procedure remains the same, however, once you upgrade from an older version to 2.1 you cannot go back, so please take careful consideration before upgrading any live site..

SMF 2.0.x does not have responsive features in its core. Curve2 has.

BYUFanatic

How well does curve2 work on 2.09 for mobile devices?

And can 2.1 install be downgraded to 2.09?

Antes

Curve2 is only and only designed for SMF 2.1 (which is also its Default theme) and no you cannot downgrade.

BYUFanatic

Mods can go ahead and close this topic. A duplicate has been submitted for a fix.

lc62003

If you're interested in a hack, and I do mean complete hack, but it will get you by for logging in on mobiles until devs code a real fix.  This takes it off center on larger screen devices as well...just know that.   :D

Edit /Themes/default/scripts/script.js. 

Find:

// Show it
this.popup_body = $('#' + this.popup_id).children('.popup_window');
this.popup_body.css({top: '25%', left: '50%', margin: '-' + ($(this.popup_body).height() / 2) + 'px 0 0 -' + ($(this.popup_body).width() / 2) + 'px'}).parent().fadeIn(300);

Replace:

// Show it
this.popup_body = $('#' + this.popup_id).children('.popup_window');
this.popup_body.css({margin: '5% 0 0 5%'}).parent().fadeIn(300);

It isn't pretty but the popup will be visible as well as above the keyboard on phones.  Naturally you could tweak the margin numbers to suit. 

Irisado

Bug tracking for this is now taking place on Github, and as the OP started another topic, this one is being locked as per request.  Please continue any discussion in the other topic if necessary: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=531420.0
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Advertisement: