News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Started by Burke ♞ Knight, December 20, 2014, 07:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burke ♞ Knight

In my honest opinion, a Likes system here would be very useful to have.
Since it's in 2.1's core, why not go ahead and port it back to 2.0, at least for the site here.

I'm not saying to add it to 2.0's core for a new update, but just for here, so people can like posts, instead of just replying with a like post.

Antes

I think its not worth porting better wait this site get upgraded.

Kindred

1- it is not worth porting
2- if we did, it would only be applied here if it was a standard feature. With a few minor exceptions, this site is a default installation... And even those exceptions regularly get us questions on how they get implemented on some one else's site...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oldiesmann

It's not going to happen. The likes system in 2.1 cannot be easily ported to 2.0 because it's dependent on things that 2.0 doesn't have, such as jQuery and the notifications system in 2.1. The only mods we've installed here are essentially things to make life easier for team members - topic solved, assorted moderation/administration mods, etc.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

live627

Quote from: ♞ Burke Knight ♞ on December 20, 2014, 07:55:48 AM
Since it's in 2.1's core, why not go ahead and port it back to 2.0, at least for the site here.

I'm not saying to add it to 2.0's core for a new update, but just for here, so people can like posts, instead of just replying with a like post.
NOWAI

runningmom604

Quote from: Burke ♞ Knight on December 20, 2014, 07:55:48 AM

I was thinking this too... either a likes feature or a thanked and thanks feature...

I already been helped with a few questions and its not very satisfying not having a use and universal way to tell the person I appreciate their post.
I love to run and run to love ;)

runningmom604

Also, the forum should show home many people are view a specific thread at once...
I love to run and run to love ;)

Steve

The problem is that the powers that be try to keep this forum as stock as possible to showcase SMF's out-of-the-box capabilities. :)

Quote from: runningmom604 on February 28, 2015, 04:04:55 PMAlso, the forum should show home many people are view a specific thread at once...

Why?

(btw, this section is for THIS support forum, not any others, in case there's any confusion)
DO NOT pm me for support!

br360

Quote from: runningmom604 on February 28, 2015, 03:59:57 PM
I already been helped with a few questions and its not very satisfying not having a use and universal way to tell the person I appreciate their post.

You can always just go old school and post the words "thank" and "you" in a reply to someone that has helped you. ;)

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

margarett

Quote from: br360 on February 28, 2015, 04:47:21 PM
Quote from: runningmom604 on February 28, 2015, 03:59:57 PM

You can always just go old school and post the words "thank" and "you" in a reply to someone that has helped you. ;)
Best

:)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

LiroyvH

Likes will get here when 2.1 gets here, not sooner.

/thread

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Burke ♞ Knight

True, but the thanks or likes, would allow others not involved to like or thank a post without having to revive old threads by posting. ;)

That is why I personally, would like to see the likes system a little more advanced for 2.1, where can change to thanks/No-thanks if the admin wants.

Arantor

You realise it was chosen intentionally to be just likes and not likes/dislikes for a *reason*, right?

In case you're wondering, I made that choice and a year and a bit later I find no reason to have changed my outlook on it and would do the same again next time.

Burke ♞ Knight

That has no bearing on what my opinion is.
I know how and why, but that does not mean I have to agree with it. ;)

That is why I hope a good thank you mod gets made.

Antes

Thank you mods are out of meta IMO, more interactive mods are required, you need to express your feeling in different way when things come to that "thanks/like/dislike" meta. Yes forums are for posting what you feel/think but lets not compare that with that. So excluding core's like mod, I rather like to see like/funny/informative/...etc not sure if current system in SMF 2.1 (like feature) allows adding new "feelings" to that but.

Burke ♞ Knight

That's why said, MOD... Because, as much as I'd like to see more to the likes system, I know that not all sites would need it, so a thank you mod that may work and edit the likes system to work with it, could be a good idea. :)

Arantor

Quote from: Burke ♞ Knight on March 01, 2015, 11:30:43 AM
That has no bearing on what my opinion is.
I know how and why, but that does not mean I have to agree with it. ;)

That is why I hope a good thank you mod gets made.

Clearly you don't.

Burke ♞ Knight

Why do you think "clearly" I don't?
Just because I do not like the way it is?
Come on Arantor. Not liking does not mean someone does not understand why.
It just means they don't like it, even if they understand.

Not everyone likes everything they also agree about. Hence the phrase "I agree, but that does not mean I have to like it."

live627

Thanks... likes...  same thing, different  labels.

Advertisement: